digging out

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less than a 2 years in Southern Ontario.

The constant moisture from contact with the ground and morning dew eats away the zinc coating almost immediately and rust sets in.

Chicken wire out in the elements that doesn't have contact with the ground lasts about 5 years then starts rusting at joints and becomes easy to tear.

Wire kept inside a well ventilated barn can last 10 but the more dust that builds up the sooner it too starts to rust.

My rabbits (8-12lb AmChins) can EASILY rip through fresh chicken wire if its on the ground.

Had that problem with my tractors!! Rabbits chewed right through the chicken wire and under the cage and out :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: then the chase was on. Got all back in replaced the chick wire with 2 X 4 cage wire. When I moved the tractor the little guyes crawed through the hole and again the chase was on. Finaly when with standard 1 X 2 cage wire, grass don't come up through as well as I would like but the rabbits stay in. ;)

You can order fancier and stronger chicken wire online. Welded wire will simply break at the welds[9-10mo for 2x4in], unless you go with 14-12g with smaller holes.
You can use real chain link fencing for the bottom, not sure if that would be too big for your needs or not, but it would last a very long time and no chew through.

Back