different kinds of grass/hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I was just reading the thread about fodder for pregnant does and notice posts making a distinction between grass hay and timothy or specifying brome grass hay. We make our own hay and I know from kids on nature walks that there are many different grasses in our hayfields. Just checked the guide to flowering plants a retired botanist friend made for us and found found 15 different grasses listed. So I just wondered how different the nutrition is from different grasses. I know what good hay looks and feels and smells like and know which grasses the goats like best at different seasons but hadn't really thought about it when we're cutting fresh food or making hay for rabbits who are in cages and can't go pick exactly what they want as the goats do. When people buy hay is it really just one kind of grass--not various grasses and clover and vetch and some weeds?

By the way our first fodder (wheat) tray is into day 4 and has green shoots an inch or more long. Thanks to all who helped with information to try that.

There are differences in types of grass. Some grass pick up certain minerals with their roots others may pick some of the same minerals plus others. I would think just about any type of hay is good for roughage and filler, but some are better for minerals,protein and other such stuff livestock needs.

I know the farmers around here prefer clover. I have never heard of them planting anything else for their hay.

Latest posts

Back