Diet for house bunny?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm thinking of getting a house bun! I'm looking into getting a polish, holland lop, or Flemish giant. I'm trying to learn everything I can. I've had rabbits in the past but they were either show or commercial rabbits, which I kept on hay and pellets. What is a good diet for a pet bunny! What can help them stay healthy, and stay in a good weight?
Thanks so much!

We have one house bunny. She gets about half cup of pellets per day, we fill her hay feeder every day or every other day, whenever it gets empty.
We also give her one baby carrot per day, sometimes a piece of bell pepper, small piece of apple, maybe a bit of broccoli or almost any other fresh fruit or veggie that we might be eating that day.

fluffyhorseylady":227xcu9k said:
hay and pellets.

There you go. Rabbits are rabbits...what's healthy for one is healthy for all.

Of course, mine get treats once in a while...greens/weeds from the garden, apple or banana slices, apple and rose braches, etc.

Marinea":1qjq0820 said:
fluffyhorseylady":1qjq0820 said:
hay and pellets.

There you go. Rabbits are rabbits...what's healthy for one is healthy for all.

Of course, mine get treats once in a while...greens/weeds from the garden, apple or banana slices, apple and rose braches, etc.

Yup. Unlimited hay, small amount of pellets, and my guy actually gets greens (not iceberg, but kale, romaine, parsley, cilantro, spinach, etc) in fairly good quality. Odd crasin or bit of apple, but mostly:

Grass Hay and pellets.

Hay, pellets-feed store are better than pet store in most cases and cheaper even if you waste much of a bag, maybe donate the other half or split it with some other rabbit owners. Nutrena does make a slightly smaller bag sold at feed stores. Then mine like various horse treats. Especially manna pros snax line which has a flax cookie rabbits go crazy for. Just not the butterscotch flavored treats. They also like graham crackers. Fresh foods can be fed but they need to be adjusted to them and stay adjusted. You can't feed a bunch randomly. If you want to feed larger amounts it needs to be consistently or stay with small treats. Forages and herbs will have less digestive upset risk than vegetables and a lot less than fruit. The only fruit I usually feed is cranberries. They make good bite size treats and will last a long time just sitting in the door of the fridge. Rarely I'll give them a berry, slice of kiwi, or slice of banana. In the fall we sometimes get golfball sized apples and I break my limited fruit feeding rule for a couple months.

Latest posts

Back