Dewlap growth post breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br. Fidelis Ebeyer

Reaction score
So we have some does that we breed
(one only allowed one fall off). I’m noticing an enlargement of their dewlaps. Some sites online said it’s a sign of maturity for mating. Although they didn’t get bigger until after they breed. Is it a sign their pregnant? I tried palpating one 13 days post mating and felt nothing. She is getting much more aggressive and fisty. Are these signs of pregnancy?

Most of my Does have had dewlaps
A few have had them kinda young, and currently two of mine that have been bred and have raised Kits don't have one at all (though one made a wound on her neck so that could be why)

Fiesty and new dewlap sounds like "mature and wants to be bred" to me. Dewlaps are a result of maturity, not pregnancy. They increase in size with age and with body condition--they are not just fat, but they can store fat. If you did not get a fall off I might rebreed those does. My buck (who is reliable and I know well) has not made contact unless he falls off. If you have any doubt, however, I would wait until a week past the due date to rebreed.

Latest posts

Back