Deposits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla@LWR

Reaction score
Does anyone do deposits?

I am but now I'm thinking on it...it doesn't make sense anymore, because I'm selling rabbits depending on their quality and I thought I'd make my deposits half price. How can I do that if I haven't a clue on the quality until they are older? Answer: I can't.

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas??

I generally don't sell anything before 12 weeks, so I get to make my first picks, as I breed for myself first.
By then, I have a fairly good idea what I have. When I have done deposits, it's based on the quality of rabbit the person wants. I have a fixed price scale for all my rabbits. If they want a pet, and pet JWs are $25, then they pay half of pet price. If they want a show JW, never been on the table between 12-16 wks it's $35 so half of that.

Then do a flat rate deposit rather than a percentage.

I start taking $20 deposits at 5 weeks and subtract that amount from the final price. The deposit is just to weed out people who say they want a particular rabbit but then change their mind 3 weeks later leaving you with a kit that likely could have been sold to someone else.

Even at $20 I still get people who change their minds but at least I get some money for the rabbit if a home cannot be found.

dood's approach works well. :)

But my minimum deposit is $20. Sometimes it pays for the rabbit completely (as mixed breeds and rescues I sell for $20).

But usually I can make a fair guess as to what they'll be like and set my prices early.

I require deposits to hold rabbits for longer than 7 days. This helps me weed out the serious buyers from the ones that will change their mind at a later date (which happened several times before I started to require deposits). Usually the deposit is 50% of the listed price, unless the rabbit is a $10 or $20 pet rabbit, then I require the full amount as the deposit.

Back