Dehydrated ears and feet for dog treats??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reids Rabbits

Reaction score
I raise dogs along with raising my rabbits. I randomly saw a posting on dehydrated rabbit ears for dog treats and thought that was an awesome idea! I don't save the pelts or heads, but now considering saving the feet and ears for treats for my dogs.
I am just wondering if anyone here has dehydrated ears and feet for their dogs? If so, what you would recommend the best way in dehydrating them? I was thikging a food dehydrator as I dont want to use my oven for this, but how long and what temperature?

I don't waste time/money on dehydrating them. I put extras into a bag and freeze them, give them out when they thaw.

I save the ears and feet for my dogs but I don't dehydrate them. I feed them fresh after butchering or I freeze them until I am ready to use them. I let them thaw in the fridge before use. I guess you could give them to the dogs frozen as well. The dogs love them! I have never tried to dehydrate them but unless you have a large lop breed im guessing they would be pretty tiny dog treats, im not sure if it would be worth the effort or not. It might be kind of cool to give it a try though.

you can put them on a big baking sheet in the oven on the lowest setting, that has been the easiest, I have a dehydrator but i don't want to use it for nasty paws and ears. feeding them fresh and frozen works really well too. my dog just sits there nice and attentive waiting for his treats!
gringo.jpg

I haven't tried dehydrating them either. I feed fresh or frozen whole heads to our dogs, and the same goes for feet.

I have recently had to cull some rabbits for the respiratory form of Pasteurella, and those heads have been discarded since dogs can get Pasteurella as well.

Mickey328":2vaznf3w said:
Are the bones okay for them? Would you just toss the entire head to them and let 'em have at it?

Yes and yes. :)

I have even fed well boiled rabbit bones to them- they tend to crumble, not splinter.

my dog just ate the whole ribcage today! it took him a good 15 minutes and kept him busy while i cleaned up. 8 month old pup are not the easiest thing in the world to control.

Just wait he'll get better at it and that ribcage will take him 15 seconds instead of minutes. My dogs love getting rabbit in their dish, the ferrets like it more than chicken.

MamaSheepdog":3ei6rqyi said:
Cute pup, Jollys! Is he a Ridgeback?

I will post more pics, he is 1/2 doberman - 1/2 boxer
we cant wait to see how big he gets dad was a 90lb dobie and mom was 60lb boxer. he just turned 8 months and he is 75lb and 24 inches at the shoulder.

My dog wont eat them raw, she snaps them up, runs away and then leaves them about the yard. Heads, ears, feet, anything raw.

But she will eat the ears toasted in the oven for a half hour at 300f.

Might try that with the heads too, a light toasting to make them taste more cooked.

I don't cook them either. But if I did, the food dehydrator is a dog dedicated machine :)

MamaSheepdog":1o05zsff said:
Cute pup, Jollys! Is he a Ridgeback?
You're the first person I've run into who knows what that is. We have a dog who is either ridgeback with too many "bad" traits or a boxer mutt who has a ridge. We don't know for sure because we picked him up at the pound.

people always ask if he is a a ridgeback or a vizsla. Sometimes even a weimaraner. Cool dog lots of energy and very protective for being such a young dog. Yet friendly enough that he goes to the dog park 2-3 times a week.

Latest posts

Back