Decisions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyva

Reaction score
Looking for some input, here is the dilemma. Have a red Belgian hare doe that needs to be bred if any of the bucks work, (they have had fans). We were breeding her to a satin buck but we got rid of him, he was a little small. He was white and threw chestnut agoutis and blacks, one of his black daughters bred back to him threw more rews and a couple of blacks.(First time doe and she had 10 a couple days ago.)

Our two current bucks are a Champagne D'Argent and a red NZ. I'm guessing red to red will probably get red, but what happens if we cross the red doe to the champagne buck? What about the black doe? If crossed on the red buck I'm guessing some red and some agouti? What about crossing her on the Champagne?

Moved this to "Rabbit Colours and Genetics", where you will be more likely to catch the attention of those who know about the mixing of rabbit colors. :)

The champagne is genetically a black rabbit with two silver genes, and there are other modifiers giving them the extreme silver effect as opposed to say a silver fox, I don't know if they will effect the colour of his kits.

Red rabbits are chestnut agouti's with two non-extension genes. If you breed two red together you will get more red and cannot get chestnut.

If you breed red to black silver you will likely get chestnuts with possibly some silvering. If the buck carries non-extension you could get red, but it is unlikely.

A black bred to a black will produce more blacks, if one of those blacks is silvered then you could get some silvering in the kits.

Back