Dead kit, underweight mamas, please help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
They are free fed the TSC rabbit feed and grass hay. The feed is 16% protein, but it's the best I can find. I've been half-heartedly looking for a better supplier, but now I think I'll be searching harder.

They also have free access to water, obviously.

Well, MH and Minnow are underweight. I really looked over their condition last night because the intent was to breed them this morning while it was cool. They didn't look skinny, or feel that way from passing pets, but when I really checked them out, I realized they were.

And one of MH's kits - a little black doe - was perfectly fine at 11AM. It must have passed soon after that, because when we went back to check at 2:15, it was stiff. So 3 of 5 of MH's kits didn't make it.

Should I wean the kits at this point? They're a little over 5 weeks old. Maybe not having the stress of nursing will improve the does' conditions.

Since it sounds as though the kits may be a bit fragile, I would not be in a hurry to wean them. I'd supplement the does' feed with a mix of kitchen oatmeal, grain such as wheat or barley, BOSS... Over a large mixing bowl of this mix, I would drizzled over a spoonful of blackstrap molasses dissolved in a couple spoonfuls of boiling water. You want just enough moisture to mix it in... the grain should not be moist when done. If it is, dry it off with a bit more grain or oatmeal. I sometimes use this to give the rabbits a boost in extremely cold weather but it acts as a good pick-me-up for nursed down does too. Feed in a separate dish, about 1/8 cup increasing to 1/4 cup per rabbit in addition to the usual feed. Just what I'd do... not the only way of handling the situation.

MaggieJ":fy8f2ppi said:
Since it sounds as though the kits may be a bit fragile, I would not be in a hurry to wean them. I'd supplement the does' feed with a mix of kitchen oatmeal, grain such as wheat or barley, BOSS... Over a large mixing bowl of this mix, I would drizzled over a spoonful of blackstrap molasses dissolved in a couple spoonfuls of boiling water. You want just enough moisture to mix it in... the grain should not be moist when done. If it is, dry it off with a bit more grain or oatmeal. I sometimes use this to give the rabbits a boost in extremely cold weather but it acts as a good pick-me-up for nursed down does too. Feed in a separate dish, about 1/8 cup increasing to 1/4 cup per rabbit in addition to the usual feed. Just what I'd do... not the only way of handling the situation.
I separated the does from their kits. I think a few times per day I'll put the kits back in there - maybe morning, afternoon and evening - just to give the mom's a break.

I'll give that recipe a try. What's "blackstrap" molasses? Where would I find that?

You can find blackstrap molasses at the supermarket, health food store or bulk food store. You want the unsulfured kind. It is very thick and almost black in colour. It is a by-product of refining sugar and has all the nurtients from the sugar cane and beets that the sugar itself lacks.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid ... =foodspice

Just remember that it is very rich and a tiny bit is all you need for the rabbits. :)

I would -not- feed wheat, would feed whole oats (you can use "kitchen oats" but I like the whole oats better myself). Wheat can form gluten in the GI and stop them up even more.

Latest posts

Back