Day 12 Eyes not open !

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
It's been 12 days since Lil big mama had her kits. I've been waiting very patiently for their little eyes to open and I was hoping today would have been the day. We'll it's been 12 days and their eyes are still not open. I was going to take a warm wet washcloth and try to assist them in opening their eyes. I never done this before and was wondering if I could possibly have a little more info about this. Is it hard? Is it relatively simple? I definitely want to help them but at the same time i don't want to hurt them either.

First, take a look at their eyes. Do you see the eyelids, and it just looks like their eyes are closed? Or can you not really see the lids, and the eyes look almost clenched shut, the area where they should be nearly obscured with fur?

If the former, then they're probably fine, just a little late in opening. You can still take a warm washcloth and give them a little soak.

If the latter, they have nest box eye. You will definitely need to carefully clean the eyes, maybe soaking with a chamomile teabag or regular teabag.

Either way, if I'm not mistaken, you should not try to help them open their eyes.

It would be highly unusual for a whole nest full of kits to have nest box eye in both eyes.

Should I hold off for another day or 2? She has 8 kits and not one of their eyes are open. I will try to get a picture of one and post it. Thank you again Miss M

II Arrows":2yqn2yak said:
Should I hold off for another day or 2? She has 8 kits and not one of their eyes are open. I will try to get a picture of one and post it. Thank you again Miss M
Yes hold on for a bit. My last litter of Giants I thought was in trouble but all 6? Day 15 and all of them opened. Sometimes there just a bit slow.

You can try placing a warm washcloth or teabag on them but good luck. If yours are anything like mine they'll be bouncing around and wiggling so much you'll get it everywhere except their eyes. :shock:

Latest posts

Back