Daughter moved 'just in time'

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
My daughter and SIL purchased a home and moved the first week of Feb-- she was at the old apartment complex visiting friends, and left just minutes before the Navy jet hit the building 300 feet away from their former unit...

the kids had always been uncomfortable being so close to the base, with the jets flying so low overhead--their building in the landing pattern/flight path...

Somebody 'up there' is watching out--this is not something that a siren can be sounded off for--

That sounds really good, glad to hear shes OK as I hope for everyone else. I live just a few minutes down the road from there and was shocked when I heard it. Jets flying around down here is no different than you expecting your mail to come every day, but never had expected anything like this would ever happen.

Good to hear they were out of there before it happened, FR.

Been there, done that. I was toying with the idea of getting a room and staying overnight in Carthage, MO last year after the SW Missouri Hare Raisers show. I opted not to do so, deciding to make my way as far back home as I could, and wound up making it all the way back home. The irony of the thing is the following afternoon was when the tornado hit Joplin, MO. For those of you who don't know, Joplin is about 10 miles south of Carthage.

How frightening! That was a really close call. What is the status of the people in the building and on the jet?

I believe the status is three people injured, 6 unaccounted for-- two injured- pilot and co-pilot-- one on the ground.. The hope is the unaccounted for people were not in their apartments-- that they may be out of town, and not aware of what happened 'back home' One fella-- was in his truck under the plane-- the plane was dumping fuel-- imagine the finish on his truck now-- several people were taken to hospital due to the fuel dump covering them in fuel. NPR stated this morning 'catastrophic mechanical error" I heard the truck owner yesterday say the plane was 'nose up, tail down' while dumping the fuel as it came at him. The pilots ejected at such a low altitude they landed right with their gear-- residents cut one from what he was entangled it. the potential for a moe catastrophic event was certainly there..

Well, hopefully the unaccounted for people are safe. It sounds like it could have been far worse. Your daughter must still be getting over it though.

All people accounted for== no deaths--The fuel that landed on people as it was dumped, was easily handled by the ER rooms- it is still not known if the pilots dumped the fuel, or if that was part of the failure-- but it resulted in a 'less catastrophic' situation.

rayers ar not as long as most peoles-- but todays was quite a bit longer I don't pray often, and my 'thanks' pa

So glad they, and everyone else, are ok! That looks like a war zone on tv, good grief!! :p

It was terrible but no one was killed thank God. Those planes take off and do maneurvers all week long. It was very quiet yesterday afternoon. They fly over Northeastern Nc as part of their loop. Scary silence.

Frosted Rabbits":3h2jf3k5 said:
All people accounted for== no deaths--The fuel that landed on people as it was dumped, was easily handled by the ER rooms- it is still not known if the pilots dumped the fuel, or if that was part of the failure-- but it resulted in a 'less catastrophic' situation.

It's pretty much standard procedure whenever an aircraft develops an inflight emergency, the pilot will immediately begin dumping excess fuel overboard in preparation for trying to land the aircraft. It's true whether we're talking about civilian or military aircraft. I'm betting it was pilot-induced.

Wow! First I've heard of this (I was out of town), but glad no one was seriously injured! Yes, standard procedure is to dump excess fuel so that if the plane crash-lands, it doesn't also cause an enormous fireball. Better to have a few people have to be treated for fuel dumped on them than ten or a hundred times that many being burned, many fatally so.

They are calling it a miracle since it is an older community and school was out for Good Friday. It is a miracle that no one was in those apartments.

Latest posts

Back