Dandruff

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnies50

Reaction score
Grr, so annoying.
_grump____plz_by_synfull.gif
Caramel has a little bit of dandruff around her scruff area, and I can't seem to tell what exactly is causing it. As to the fleas, I'm pretty sure fleas don't cause dandruff, and there are only a few tiny black ones left.
xd_laugh_revamp_by_bubblerevolution.gif
Irritating, but at least there aren't a lot left. Been trying to comb her fur to get 'em all out, but I will admit it's difficult.
_noid__by_mr_jaunty.gif

Anyone know a remedy for light dandruff?

Unfortunately that probably means she has mites. Did you ever get any food grade diatomaceous earth? (I am thinking it was one of the things mentioned in your initial thread a wile back).

MamaSheepdog":1afzm0xu said:
Yep, you need the D.E. I sell small boxes of it for $2.50 as part of my Critterz Chewzit business. :)

You could order some toys while you are at it. :mrgreen:

http://www.facebook.com/critterzchewzit

:lol: I will most certainly consider that!! :p :p :p

Dandruff is caused by mites? I know there are a few little white dots (moving v-e-e-r-y slowly) on her skin, but I didn't think that could cause it. :thinking: Would you be able to get them out with a flea comb?

funnies50":3k9nefz6 said:
MamaSheepdog":3k9nefz6 said:
Yep, you need the D.E. I sell small boxes of it for $2.50 as part of my Critterz Chewzit business. :)

You could order some toys while you are at it. :mrgreen:

http://www.facebook.com/critterzchewzit

:lol: I will most certainly consider that!! :p :p :p

Dandruff is caused by mites? I know there are a few little white dots (moving v-e-e-r-y slowly) on her skin, but I didn't think that could cause it. :thinking: Would you be able to get them out with a flea comb?
The "dandruff" is actually the mite... http://www.petsandparasites.org/cat-owners/dandruff/

Really? :sick: Eeuw.
Thats kind of odd...I thought they were just flakes, and they clearly weren't moving. :thinking:
But whatever you say! You guys are the experts, not me :lol:

I'd have to agree with the others in this thread .... dandruff is likely fur mites.

I'm dealing with a case of them right now and DE hasn't done the trick .... I've bleached the cages & barn along with everything around along with DE to no avail.

Finally broke down and got some Ivermectin. I don't like to use "chemicals" on my rabbits , this is a first for me , but .... nothing else was working.
This time they got a dusting with DE , the Ivermectin and cages & barn walls cleaned with bleach. Will give them a second round 10 days later.

I'm 5-6 days into that and so far so good ..... so what ??

There are some feral cats in the area that always hang around eyeballing my rabbits .... I wonder if they may be the source of my troubles and why I cant seem to get rid of them & keep them gone. I'd shoot the damn things for torturing my rabbits .... if I didn't think I'd get animal cruelty charges thrown at me.

FUR-MITES

Will look like flakes of dandruff. It is caused by: Chyletiella Parasitivorax and Listrophorus Gibbus. They occur most commonly on the back of the neck. An over-population may cause Dermatitis.
An un-thrifty coat, loss of fur around the face , neck and back.

TREATMENT
A good Cat flea powder, Listerine mouthwash rubbed into the infected area will make short order of the Mites. You can also use a droplet the size of a small green-pea of Ivermectine/Zimectrine Horse Paste Wormer. Repeat treatment in ten days. Do NOT use treated animal as a meat source for at least 30 days after last treatment.
I thought this might help.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":17ezoc2h said:
TREATMENT
A good Cat flea powder, Listerine mouthwash rubbed into the infected area will make short order of the Mites. You can also use a droplet the size of a small green-pea of Ivermectine/Zimectrine Horse Paste Wormer. Repeat treatment in ten days. Do NOT use treated animal as a meat source for at least 30 days after last treatment.
I thought this might help.

It didn't occur to me to use Listerine .... I've used it in the past for ear mites in both cats & rabbits with good success.

Thank you Ottersatin, Ramjet :) :) :)
Listerine mouthwash?? Sounds very affordable, like one of those home remedy kinda things :lol:
MSD, if you're looking at this - my mom said she'd order the DE from you today. But she's more forgetful than I am, so I'll have to remind her if I want the DE at all. :lol:

funnies50":162rwgsv said:
MSD, if you're looking at this - my mom said she'd order the DE from you today. But she's more forgetful than I am, so I'll have to remind her if I want the DE at all. :lol:

Sounds good, Funnies. :) Our mail delivery is probably occurring as we speak, but if we finalize an order today I can ship it out in the morning. :)

funnies50":1ekwvb9b said:
Thank you Ottersatin, Ramjet :) :) :)
Listerine mouthwash?? Sounds very affordable, like one of those home remedy kinda things :lol:

Yes the mouthwash .... It works wonders for ear mites. Just cover the infected area and repeat in ~10 days.

MSD ~ Aaaand...we were out of town today, so there goes the DE. :oops: Tomorrow I'll be home so I'll get her to order it then.
Ramjet ~ Is it alright to use any mouthwash, or only Listerine??

funnies50":20in9cmf said:
MSD ~ Aaaand...we were out of town today, so there goes the DE. :oops: Tomorrow I'll be home so I'll get her to order it then.

I've only used Listerine .... no idea if others will work or not.

Ramjet":2zrabcmw said:
funnies50":2zrabcmw said:

I've only used Listerine .... no idea if others will work or not.

My guess is that it is the alcohol in the Listerine that kills the mites- so as long as you get pretty close to the ratios in Listerine it will kill them.

I was always told that Listerine was the BEST choice.
I do believe that it has something to do with the Alcohol content,
The Fleas become intoxicated and drunkenly FALL to their DEATH! :explode:

Don't forget to clean your cages or anything else your rabbit has been in contact with. As I understand it, mites can live away from a host for quite a while. Bleach your cage, replace all the bedding, yada yada yada. If you let your rabbit loose in the house you might consider treating the carpets and furniture as well.

Pepperoni":15e2lxmk said:
Don't forget to clean your cages or anything else your rabbit has been in contact with. As I understand it, mites can live away from a host for quite a while. Bleach your cage, replace all the bedding, yada yada yada. If you let your rabbit loose in the house you might consider treating the carpets and furniture as well.

Gotcha. :) Thanks so much. <br /><br /> -- Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:04 pm -- <br /><br />
Pepperoni":15e2lxmk said:

Gotcha. :) Thanks so much.

Latest posts

Back