Dandelion overdose

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
At least I hope that's all it is.

Every so often if I get rabbit I really like I bring it in the house.

I have one right now that is about six weeks old. He is sandy, a colour I rarely get, so I thought I might be able to sell him (or her) as a pet.

But this rabbit is different.

He refuses to eat rabbit food, rolled oats or calf manna.

He loves dry brown bread, peas, grass and dandelions.

He doesn't drink much water either.

So this morning I gave him peas, grass and dandelions.

There's still quite a lot of grass and peas left, the dandelion (one small bunch of leaves, no flowers) is all gone.

I've been mowing the lawn for the last three hours and when I came in just now bunn was laying in a large pool of bunny diarrhea, it stinks and there's a lot of it.

He doesn't look at all well, but his ears are up. I'm holding him in a towel and he isn't making any effort to get out of it at all.

Should I offer him some dry oats this evening - that he doesn't seem to like or leave him without food until the morning then offer him a slice of dry bread? I don't have any dry bread right now.

Oh one other thing, ever since I brought him inside he has sneezed almost continually, but he hasn't had a snotty nose or looked ill until today. I thought maybe he is allergic to something.

I would make sure to let him have access to the oats. Also if you have any blackberry or blueberry that is supposed to help with the diarrhea. You can also use cooked carrots to help control diarrhea. (I REALLY hate trying to spell that stupid word.) Ginger works for diahhrea grrr, I hate that word...I'll link you the post I'm using so I dont have to spell that word.
http://rabbittalk.com/effects-of-herbs-for-rabbits-t14508.html
Just put "that word" in the search box (control f) and it should pull up all the places that say "it". Hope the bunny gets better.

Well, cooked carrots and ginger are two things I wouldn't have thought of. I could cook him a carrot. don't have any ginger though.

Right now he's sitting on the back of the couch feeling a bit sorry for himself, but he should be fine if it was just caused by something he ate.

Dandelions are good for vitamin C, but too much can result in the runs. I wouldn't be terribly worried, just make sure he stays well hydrated.

We feed a LOT of dandelions this time of year, with no issues. Once they're used to them, you can feed dandelions as much as they'll eat.

BTW, they enjoy the flowers, immature seed heads, and roots, too. The whole plant is great bunny fodder.

I agree MC I feed lots of grass and dandelions too, but they're only just starting to grow here. The flowers weren't out yet this morning because it was wet.

I have never had a problem before either. I don't use any sprays or fertilizer or anything like that on the garden, so I know that's not it.

I've offered him oats and water, he's ignored both, but at least he hasn't tipped the dishes over, which is what he normally does.<br /><br />__________ Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 am __________<br /><br />Well, he looks just fine this morning, I gave him some grass with just four dandelion leaves. I hid the dandelions in the grass, I just checked and he's eaten the dandelions and left everything else I offered him. Fussiest eater I ever had!!

I'm glad he is feeling better, but the diarrhea is worrisome to me. If you have or can get some probiotic paste, I would give him some to be safe.

I use Bene-Bac by Manna-Pro. It is formulated for livestock.

Since he doesn't drink much plain water, try giving him some electrolytic solution. Many members have found that orange flavored Gatorade is a rabbit favorite.

You can easily make your own (healthier) solution.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5875270_make-el ... ution.html

I had my blue buck come down with poopy butt a while back and some organic cider vinegar in his water and dry orchard hay cleared him up in a few days. Whatever hay you use should be high in fiber and low in protein so alfalfa hay isn't a good choice for this although it is excellent food for a healthy rabbit.
What would concern me is the odor. Rabbit poop should have very little smell. I'd give MSDs suggestion of probiotics a try.

Latest posts

Back