Curious about Pedigree - - - Line Breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
Was just reading a discussion that mentioned pedigrees. I didn't want to hijack their post, but a question came to mind - what if you do line breeding. Wouldn't that look odd in a pedigree? How do you handle that. I got a new buck with a 'pedigree' that consists only of his parent's names. That's it ... LOL

I will have only one buck, and really don't plan to breed generations of rabbits, but @ladysown mentioned that one can build a pedigree with 3 generations of ancestry. So, if I did line breed for awhile, it would most likely only be with the one buck. Curious how (if?) that would work.

Thanks again for all the knowledge everyone shares so freely!!

Liz

Linebreeding shows up all the time on pedigrees; you'd have to keep both bucks and does back to make a full pedigree though; if you only use that buck it would still only be a 1/2 gen (if you count just having the names as a gen) pedigree because thats how far back it would be on the sire's side, no matter how far back it is on the dam's side. You'd have to keep sons/grandsons out of him to breed back to to build a pedigree.

Back