cross breeding NZ for meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANSON301

Reaction score
What other breed besides Californian breeds good to a New Zealand for meat rabbits?
Also, would like to bread it to something like a lion head for selling as pets unless they would mix well for meat.
Any suggestions?

I cross a New Zealand x Flemmish Giant buck on my American Chinchilla does and I am very happy with the results.

Most people who want pet rabbits want them small so crossing a New Zealand with a Lion head would not be a good idea for the pet trade.

For meat, you can cross NZ with any other commercial meat breed....Cali, Rex, Am Chin, Silver Fox, Champagne's, etc...I would not cross with a Lion Head.

thanks everyone.
Any one in eastern South Dakota with Rex, Am Chin, Silver Fox, Champagne's, or french lop?<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 pm __________<br /><br />anyone ever use florida whites for meat production?

I have a pair of Florida Whites I have bred but no popples yet. They are supposed to be really great for meat production! And adults are smaller then say NZ or Cali's so less cage space needed and they are supposed to be very efficient. I can also see them doing well in a pet market maybe bred with mini rex for colors.

MANY PEOPLE DONT LIKE CROSSING NZ TO FLEMISH GIANTS....THEY SAY THAT THE BONE TO MEAT RATIO IS POOR AND THERE ARE TOO MANY LARGE BONES. I on the other hand have had A LOT of success doing it this wat, Ive had amazing results and fabulous Hybrid vigor.. Also ny crossing a nz to a nz/fg .......another cross that worked well as mentioned is a nz -french lop cross/////I also did a french lop/fg cross to a NZ buck and that was great also

Champagnes are a great meat breed. I have a doe. I frankly, breed meat mutts. My champagne is my only pure bred doe out of 7(?) does.

My best cross so far is NZW doe to a French lop/ Lionhead buck. The kits are growing faster than the other crosses and variety of looks fun. Nice loins on the rabbits also. I've crossed Californiansand Creme D'Argents also.

Latest posts

Back