Cross Bred as Breeder?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseywoolynewbie

Reaction score
Hi there! I am fairly new to the meat rabbit game and am on my first litter. My doe is a pure Cali and my buck is a pure Rex, leaving the kits 1/2 and 1/2. With the litter of 9, just under 5 weeks, nearly all of them are right around 2lbs. I was wondering if it would be worth it to keep one or not. I plan on buying a NZ doe and a Rex doe in the very near future and eventually a NZ buck. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

If any of the kits look good I would keep them. The only thing to consider (if you even care) is that the rex coat is a recessive, so all of your kits now should be normal coat, but if you cross a daughter back to your rex buck, roughly half of the litter should come out rex coated and half normal coat because all of your crosses now have 1 rex gene.

Thank you! I don’t really care much about the rex coat given the are purely for meat purposes and I will be getting a Rex doe soon. Thank you again for your help!!

I would probably invest in a good NZ buck asap. I recommend that folks start with the best they can. It takes time. We have Californian buck n black New Zealand does. We line breed and are getting a violet or blue colored offspring. We don't save the hides. Just enjoy the blue color
Good luck n have fun

Latest posts

Back