Crockpot Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this, didn't quite seem to fit in the recipes section....

I just put eight front rabbit legs in the crockpot with a can of chicken noodle soup, some Swiss Chalet sauce and a can of mushrooms. I got this crockpot from my sister a while ago and this is the first time using it. It has Off/Low/High settings so I was wondering how long to leave it on for. It is on Low right now.

....old truck driver trying to use a new (to me!) appliance.... scary stuff....

Crockpots are easy. It is almost impossible to spoil a recipe using one. :)

What I usually do is turn it on high until it gets going and then switch to low... but my crockpot is from the 70's, so the new ones may be a bit different and it might not be necessary. Just let her go until the rabbit meat is tender... should be ready by supper time. :)

Well, that was 3 1/2 hours on low and that had to be the softest, tastiest, most tender meat I've eaten in a long time! It seemed to be cooked all the way through....

Heh heh... I"m a bachelor and have been eating questionable stuff out of the fridge for so many years I think it would have to be nuclear waste to make me sick now! Seriously, though, that was really good! Now that I've discovered the crockpot... back legs are next!

:goodjob: Awesome, Truckinguy! 3 1/2 hours was probably enough on low because it was a small amount of meat, and already in small pieces. :)

I had to look up Swiss chalet sauce... never heard of it! Sounds like some good stuff, and sounds like quite a tasty combination you tossed into that crock pot! :chef:

Maggie's right... it's nigh unto impossible to ruin something in a crockpot. :D

Fantastic! I've found, having 3 crock pots I use, each is different. You need to find out how FAST it gets hot on high. and, well, how HIGH high is. I have one that will actually boil stuff...NOT good in a crockpot. I often just throw stuff in one on the way to bed, turn it on low, and wake up to a wonderful smelling breakfast of tender yummy meat.

Glad dinner turned out well, Truckinguy.

Nice thing about a crockpot when you're working is that you can throw the ingredients in it in the morning, set it on low and come home to a great home cooked meal.

Anntann":3lpxmpub said:
Fantastic! I've found, having 3 crock pots I use, each is different. You need to find out how FAST it gets hot on high. and, well, how HIGH high is. I have one that will actually boil stuff...NOT good in a crockpot.
This is true. Mine will boil on high if left there. I'll usually do like Maggie and start it on high, but turn it down to low after an hour or so.

So nice to just stick everything in there and forget about it until dinnertime! I have a large crock pot, so I stuck two whole rabbits in, and filled all the spaces with chopped potatoes and onions, and spices. About a cup of water. Ah, was that good!

Truckinguy":3lpxmpub said:
Ahh, Miss M, Swiss Chalet sauce is the best, I"m not sure if you have Swiss Chalet Chicken in the US.

I'll do anything for Swiss Chalet Chicken... well, almost...hehe
:lol: No, looks like we don't have it in the States... pity. Maybe I'll have to try that recipe for the sauce I found.

Truckinguy":3lpxmpub said:
The only problem is that I might start work at 7am and not finish until 8-9pm. I"m not sure the ingredients would survive being in the crockpot that long.
Yep, as long as it's on low, and there's enough moisture.

I stuck a deer leg FROZEN SOLID in mine for 14-15 hours once. Shay broke my favorite knife making that leg fit in there. Oh, well... :roll: I asked him to make it be in two pieces, and it was, as I said, frozen, so it was my own fault! :lol: Anyway, like I said, it was in there well over half a day. And deeeeeelicious, too!

Next time you use your crockpot, Truckinguy, make a larger amount and start it first thing in the morning on low on a day when you are home to supervise it. I'll bet it can go for 12 hours without overcooking. Really, it is very hard to overcook things in a crockpot as long as there is sufficient moisture and use the low setting. You have to remember that yesterday you were cooking a small quantity and started it on high.

Leftovers can be frozen in single serving portions for quick meals on a different day. Crock pot food reheats easily in the microwave. :)

Latest posts

Back