Critique NZW

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnie

Reaction score
I am finding a hard time discovering resources online :) I have tried to listen in at the last couple of shows, but before I go to the next show I was wondering if anyone more experienced could share with me some info on critiquing NZ for show. I have read the SOP for NZ, but that can be shady, I plan to put my hands on some rabbits at the next show and learn more hands on, but it would be nice to have a better base knowledge before then.

I'm taking my 2 jr does to the next show, I took one previously and didn't know they could have dq'd her since she was 5lbs. I had an old copy of the SOP where minimum jr weight was 4.5lbs, it is now 6lbs. Both of my girls are at 5lbs15oz, so they will make weight for the next show.

My other question, does anyone have an approximate growth scale for NZ? At what age should they meet mature weight, what is a "mature" weight for NZ (9lbs?).

With the mini rex I had some background knowledge, so I am still trying to read/learn and self educate with the NZ. I am attaching a couple pictures of my girls.

Posing is another issue I am having, I just need to pay more attention at the next show (last show I had mini rex on the table at the same time the nz were up, so I couldnt watch much).

482482_460538047352821_1849707846_n.jpg

5722_460532844020008_1766420722_n.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:23 pm __________<br /><br />Changed the thread title, maybe someone will see it and give me some comments :)

Somebody who knows more about NZ than I do will see this soon, we're just kind of thin on the ground at this time of night

as the pose is .. It does seem to start the rise right behind the head, but it is to long in that front end. It is a bit flat over the hindquarter needing more depth. It appears to have a good straight HQ in the posed picture, but in the natural pose picture it's hind foot is sticking out.

It could be posed a little bit more compact, but this is a good pose and shows the animal for an honest evaluation. You will see judges "squish" them together more, but for home evaluation this is an ok pose. If you squished it together it would start to look undercut (where at the base of the tail it starts to "go under" the rabbit)

This is a web site showing some posing pictures and some faults http://www.hoppinherdofhares.com/miniloptype.html It is on Mini Lops which are more compact than a NZ, but may give you some ideas. The depth and roundness on the hindquarter should still be the same. A little more length in the front is also different in a commercial breed, but it might help you some at least.
Do you have another breeder close by that you could ask to be mentored by? Hard to try and learn it on your own with only pictures. Expensive to take a litter to a show to try and get a judges opinion. A judge is only human too and gives exactly that..an opinion. I had a buck that was BOB and BOS in 2/3 shows under breeder judges (they raise that breed) and got 2nd place in the class under a 3rd judge. It's all an opinion. The more you can learn to be your own opinion based on the standard and learning how to interpret..that is the key!

No other breeders that show NZ, I do talk regularly with the breeder I got these girls from, they are just meat rabbits though, no pedigrees. They ARE pure NZ, but as far as faults all I was told at the last show was that she needed time to grow.

I will give it a go, but I am going off of just what I see as far as "commercial" type. I think the hips are nice I would like to see them more pronounced, but they are not what I would consider pinched. The rise is a little long as well, so if you have a buck with better shoulders you might consider breeding the 2 together. Overall a nice specimen. And I agree you should see if there is a local breeder to help you out. I drove a 100 miles 1 way to talk to a reputable american breeder and her input/insight was literally priceless. She was the sweetest old lady and her knowledge from the last 30 years, well let's just say you can't find that kind of help in any SOP book or rabbit raising article.

When you go to the next show, clerk for the judge. You will learn a LOT. :)

I'm not sure if I have this quite right, and hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong... but I *believe* in a well balanced commercial animal, the depth of the hips should be matched by: width of hips, the overall length of the body from neck to tail, and length of head from nose to tips of ears.

I think you have a nice looking doe there, and you got her to pose a lot better than my usual attempts! :p

Thanks everyone! I really value the help I have gotten here!! Hopefully I can write for the judge at the next show, I'm taking these two does, but I may be able to write for youth NZ, or at least hang out and pay close attention.

Back