Critique Color/Conformation on Jr. Mini Lop Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKRabbitry

Reaction score
This is my little 3 month old, Jr. pointed white Mini lop doe.
She was a total surprise to me, because I was NOT expecting a Pointed white out of her litter. Mom is a Chinchilla, dad is a broken Chocolate chestnut agouti. I have had several litters from them before, and never had anything but the usual agoutis, chins, chestnuts, etc...so you can imagine my surprise when she turned up in the nest box. I went back over both of her parents pedigree's and realized there was just one pointed Mini lop on her Mom's pedigree. So four generations back, there is a single pointed white. That's it. Funny it should decide to turn up at random 4 generations later.

Anyway, what do you guys think of her color? She is right at about 3 months as I mentioned earlier, so I'd imagine it will get darker still she gets older. But I've never raised a pointed white before. At what age do they usually get their best color? It's been cold, so that shouldn't be an excuse.
Do you think she'll be showable? Her color seems really faint to me. Maybe I just need to give it time. According to the SOP the only dq for pointed white Mini lops is a tan pattern over the markings. I know she does not have that, but I think she might be an agouti pointed white? Is that still showable?

I've attached close up pics of her tail and feet. Her tail has pretty good color on top but it's white underneath. Her feet and ears are still really faint but I starting to come in. I think she'll be a chocolate or lilac, hard to tell for sure yet.

Second question, what colors do you think she'll throw? With the pointed whites we've used in our Jersey Wooly program we've always gotten lots of siamese sables. Wonder if it will be the same with her? Anything I shouldn't breed her to?

Finally what do y'all think of her conformation and type?
She is kinda small....she was sort of a runty one in the little.
But her two full sibling I have are awesome! So I'm keeping her around for now to see what she turns into.
She is a little sweet heart:)
Looking foreward to hearing from y'all!

Attachments

• Pointed White Mini Lop (800x600).jpg
    Pointed White Mini Lop (800x600).jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Pointed white mini lop (2) (800x600).jpg
    Pointed white mini lop (2) (800x600).jpg
    251 KB · Views: 557
  • Pointed white - tail (800x600).jpg
    Pointed white - tail (800x600).jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Under tail (800x600).jpg
    Under tail (800x600).jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 557
  • Pointed white doe (800x600).jpg
    Pointed white doe (800x600).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 557
Mom must carry the chinchilla gene and either himi or REW. Her sire must carry the normal colour gene and either himi or REW.

This doe carries 2 himalayan or 1 himalayan and 1 red eye white (REW) and does not carry the chinchilla gene.
She must carry at least 1 chocolate gene since her father is chocolate.
You won't get any sables as she does not carry the shaded gene.
She is agouti since the underside of her tail is white, so she is chestnut, chocolate agouti, opal (blue agouti) or lynx (lilac agouti). Have you have gotten any of these colours in past litters?

The colours she produces will likely be agoutis, himalayan or possibly REW depending the buck.

Thanks Dood!
That really clarifies the genetics for me. I'm sure she probably is chestnut, or chocolate agouti. We've always gotten lot's of those colors in previous litters.

I breed Mini lops too, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if I was you I would move her along. She is a pretty enough doe, but the color is unrecognized. Martinized pointed white. I had a buck like that. She is likely to throw more of these colors in litters and if you are breeding for show you don't need a lot of non-recognized colors popping up. I had a wonderful buck his name was Horatio and I loved him from the second he was born, I sold him at 6 months shortly after his first show when I realized he wasn't blue pointed white but martinized pointed white and was told that it was likely he would throw those colors if I used him as a breeding buck. He is now someones much loved pet.
Its your call, but I wanted to share the wisdom some breeders gave me.

I think she is a nice doe type wise, I also think she is a chocolate himi and agouti as has been said, I don't see the otter/martin as that would be only showing in a self himi. If you keep her and breed her to full agoutis or selfs that don't themselves carry the himi or rew you should get at least some good colours for showing! I would keep her as I just scrolled up and realized she is only 3 months!!! Nice Doe!!! You can always pet out or freezer camp anything thats not showable. Perhaps test breed her back to her dad to confirm the chocolate.

Thank you both for the comments! She is really a pretty nice doe for being so young still.
I'm still a little confused as to wether she is agouti, or martenized.......all her siblings were agouti, and her pedigree is pretty much all agouti, so that would some the more logical thing for her to be?
I guess either way she won't be showable:(
I still might keep her around and have just one litter out of her, to see what her babies end up like. Like you said, there is always freezer camp or a pet home if she ends up throwing marten babies....Should be an interesting experiement!

Latest posts

Back