Creatures of the Meatiness Persuasion

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
Well, as ya'll know, when I get back to Michigan I'm picking back up my Harlie herd and also bringing home some of those adorable Plush Lops.

I need a meat breed though, something I can show for meat pens and eat for myself and a breed that's a little more rare. I don't want NZ or Cals, and my mom has Pals so I don't want those either.

Suggestions? I really like Americans and Beverens but I don't know how they'd hold up in a meat pen class. I like American Chins, but my mom tried raising them and A) pain to find, and B) mama rabbit refused to breed.

hmmm...silver fox has a good meat rep. Plus they are GORGEOUS!

__________ Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 am __________

double post. :(

Oh cait I would go wit the others and sat silver fox but I kno u well enough to kno that won't happen I'd say satins or aregents

I've had Creme d Argents nice rabbits, really like Champagne d Argents. There's Blanc de Hotots, friend has them, her growth rates are really good, they've been higher weights than her Californians. Satins tend to do well in meat pens. I think that Beverens and Americans wouldn't compete as well because of their mandolin body type. Judges want that commercial type. Silver Fox would work as well, but I'd have multiple litters to choose from, Silver Fox aren't cookie cutter and litters tend to be all over the place in type. You know now that I'm thinking about it, I noticed that with the Cremes too, conformation and body type all over the place in the litter, drove me nuts. One of the reasons why I like Florida Whites, their like little clones.

Does anyone have a take on Am. Chins?

We never got a purebred litter, but our doe was pretty adorable. She was 11lbs of fat meaty cute.

I know that's not preferable in a meat rabbit though lol.<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm __________<br /><br />
Honorine":3009c2qb said:
I've had Creme d Argents nice rabbits, really like Champagne d Argents. There's Blanc de Hotots, friend has them, her growth rates are really good, they've been higher weights than her Californians. Satins tend to do well in meat pens. I think that Beverens and Americans wouldn't compete as well because of their mandolin body type. Judges want that commercial type. Silver Fox would work as well, but I'd have multiple litters to choose from, Silver Fox aren't cookie cutter and litters tend to be all over the place in type. You know now that I'm thinking about it, I noticed that with the Cremes too, conformation and body type all over the place in the litter, drove me nuts. One of the reasons why I like Florida Whites, their like little clones.

Could creams make weight? They're quite a bit smaller than Champagnes, aren't they?

American Chins it probably is then, even though both places I asked voted highly for Silver Fox lol.

I just miss Big Momma (our Am. Chin doe). She was evil, but had those big bunny eyes!

Cremes are smaller than Champagnes, and probably don't have the flesh quality that Champagnes do. Growth rates were decent, for a rare breed. I've found with the rare breeds that their not as 'improved' as the more popular breeds, although some are getting there fast due to a resurgence in popularity, like the Silver Fox. Blues are going to hopefully be reconized, and there's a COD out on chocolate Silver Fox, a color that they never even came in before. I must admit I thought that the Standard Chins were all that and an order of fries, really nice rabbits.

My sons took Am Chins to the County Fair and made it to the auction with single fryers. The auctioneer noticed the different color fur right away and went on about the nice looking fur. They sold for a total of $184 for two fryers.

You can see my meat pen notes at http://www.rabbitgeek.com/meatpennotes.html

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

The French are a practical people. It's a pretty sure bet almost all of the French breeds had meat rabbit in mind when they started out.

Latest posts

Back