Crazy People!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
I saw an ad in my area for Californians for $125....for one rabbit!

"several quality Californians for sale. They come from excellent show stock. Pedigreed. $125 each"

I could have gotten 5 rabbits for that from the breeder I bought from, all from show quality lines...this seems excessive to me.

that is ridiculous, particularly in that part of Texas...seem to be more rabbit selection there. I get crazy looks/emails from people who are shocked that I ask $30 for mine (people sell the standard El Paso "meat mutt" that never breaks six pounds for $5 sometimes.

Had one of those once, in the few weeks I had him he ate as much as my NZ's and put no weight on at all.

That is crazy!!! I've gotten pedigreed NZ does here in our area for $25, but we had to buy them in a trio.

That's INSANE.

I paid $30 for each of my New Zealands, they didn't have papers but had the best meat bodies I'd ever seen...I think thats the most I've ever paid for a rabbit besides my Velveteen disasters...

I don't see how that is a crazy price I've bought an unproven Mini Rex for $150.00 and a 5 year old Jersey Wooly for $125.00. I know people who wouldn't blink to pay $300.00 for a rabbit.

DevonW":1gj5oi97 said:
I don't see how that is a crazy price I've bought an unproven Mini Rex for $150.00 and a 5 year old Jersey Wooly for $125.00. I know people who wouldn't blink to pay $300.00 for a rabbit.

Maybe in your area that is not a bad price, but here the going rate is usually not more than $50 unless it is some kind of rare breed or maybe it is bred already or comes with a litter of kits. She is WELL above the average price for our area, you won't get that much even in Houston, which is the closest large city.

just sold four rabbits for $140... there's "wishing" and then there's "dreaming" :zzz: :roll:

Prices vary greatly in the same location much less place to place. Here in Iowa I can get pedigreed mini rex for $10 or $200. Depends what breeder I go to. Somewhere in the middle is an overlap where the quality remains the same but you start paying for the breeder's name.

scpankow":cxj78q9b said:
DevonW":cxj78q9b said:

Maybe in your area that is not a bad price, but here the going rate is usually not more than $50 unless it is some kind of rare breed or maybe it is bred already or comes with a litter of kits. She is WELL above the average price for our area, you won't get that much even in Houston, which is the closest large city.

In my area the average price of a purebred rabbit with a pedigree is $25.00.

tara7815":16k5q9wc said:
Oh my
I have sold our Jersey Wooly (pure, with pedegree and several legs) for $35.00
serously? I talked to a lady that wanted $125 dollars...I love jersey whoolys sighes...

akane":3l53z7zx said:
Prices vary greatly in the same location much less place to place. Here in Iowa I can get pedigreed mini rex for $10 or $200. Depends what breeder I go to. Somewhere in the middle is an overlap where the quality remains the same but you start paying for the breeder's name.

That sounds about right in Michigan. Here in Wyoming its hard enough finding stock at all, ya pay what ya pay. Pepper was free ^.^

hey, maybe the person asking such a high price doesn't really want to sell them-- but has been 'ordered' to by a disgruntled spouse!!!

Frosted Rabbits":3boamf03 said:
hey, maybe the person asking such a high price doesn't really want to sell them-- but has been 'ordered' to by a disgruntled spouse!!!

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Somehow that just tickles me pink!

Some years ago I attended some rabbit shows in So. CA . I watched a judge (old school) disqualify many a "show quality" rabbit for minor flaws that he said "made them ineligable" due to breeding irregularities . That is to say that their line had interbred sometime in the past . He pointed out every flaw that he said backed up his claim . Some had paws that weren't "just right" all the way to length of ears . It made me no difference but to some contestants it was a disaster .
Now it must be noted that this judge had no axe to grind . He just called them as he saw them . With that being said , perhaps so many rabbits have been bred outside of their particular discipline that "true" representatives of the breeds are becoming fewer and farther between . If your interest is in meat rabbits it makes no never mind if they have 2 heads just as long as they put on weight and propigate quickly and abundantly . As for the "purists" the proof is not on the platter but rather in the pedigree . Apples and oranges .
Perhaps some people feel that they have the "creme de la creme" and want to charge accordingly . Not saying they will get it , just asking .You have the option of not buying and moving on . If you have a few spare moments take a look at dogs sold by folks that have won at Westminster . As the kids say OMG!!!

Tom,
I suppose that you could say that for the most part
I am in agreement with your thoughts on this subject.
I have said in a previous post somewhere that:
You are purchasing the Rabbit, not the pedigree.
It does not matter if there are twenty Grand-Champions
in the background of the rabbit, it does not necessarily
mean that the rabbit will produce more Grand Champs for you.
It is all in your breeding choices. Putting together a good rabbit
is like doing a Jigsaw puzzle. You must get all of the parts
to fall in line by making proper breeding choices.
If the rabbit has some quality which you need to
put into your herd/breeding program than it is a good purchase whether
it costs $10.00 or $50.00. There are folks who will place an astronomical
value on their rabbit simply because they can! And there are people
who buy into their opinion and will gladly pay any price without thinking things through.
Think about it! Do you really believe that the Breeder is going to sell you his very BEST stock?
If he/she is selling you can guarantee that there is something {Much} better
somewhere in the rabbitry. I am not saying that it doesn't happen but
I dought that it happens very often. When purchasing anything,
should you feel things are not quite adding up, Run, don't walk away.
Go make your purchase another day. Any Rabbit can be "The Rabbit".
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I have seen Netherland dwarfs for $150 too $250 for a good show rabbit with several legs.anything with 3 legs is 75 and up.

Back