Craig's List post being "Blocked"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would love some help from someone who is more savvy than I must be.

I have been posting on CL for years, since September 29, 2009 to be exact. And over the years I have posted a wide variety of things from cars to sheep, rabbits, geese, free windows, manure, free feed sacks, looking for LGDs. Every once in a while, I would get "flagged" when I posted rabbits but that hasn't happened for along time.

In the last month I have tried to post LGD pups and and Pilgrim Geese, both with and without pictures. ALL my attempts have been met with the message, "This post is being blocked." :x This never happened before.

I have tried searching for the reason, tried posting to another locale, tried posting from both a "private" window, and a regular window [I use Firefox as my browser], tried reposting one of my old expired posts after editing it, tried searching on line for clues about why this is happening. I haven't yet tried using a different computer or getting a new account but I thought maybe that might be worth a try.

Has anyone else gone through this? :?: I would like to understand what has recently caused this to happen.

I also have had this problem before, and never was able to figure out the reason. I just chalked it up to some troll happy idiot who loves to slap at the flag button each time they are offended, or think they're saving the world from us horrible animal abusers. :lol:

Hope someone can help you figure it out soon!

:good-luck:

That would make sense if I ever got to post it, but this is happening before it ever gets posted. And, so far, it's happened to ANYTHING I have tried to post. I haven't tried to post to every heading, mostly just to "farm and Garden" but I did try some test posts to other headings and they too were blocked. Is there such a thing as having your email address blocked for some reason?

Yes I believe that can put a temp block not on your email, but on your IP address that's linked to your computer. At the time we were trying to find homes for our huskies pups, and no matter were I tried to post it, it would tell me something like, this content isn't allowed, or it would post, and then just minutes after it would tell me that it was flagged, and removed. If Craigslist is giving you so much trouble you can also try http://www.hoobly.com

How frustrating!!!

I suspect that CL must have some type of approval process for posts if you have been flagged for an item prior, because my puppy ads (which have been flagged) take at least an hour and at times a couple of hours to post, whereas the other day I reposted my ad for rabbit manure, and it was up within a few minutes.

Whatever you do, don't try to make another account from the same computer (or IP address?) because your account will get suspended. I don't remember for how long, but it happened to me once when my ads were either getting flagged repeatedly or maybe they were blocked like yours? I can't remember...

If it was just the puppies, I would question whether it was something in the text of the ad, perhaps the use of the word "pet"... but given that the ad for geese wont load either, I don't know. :?

Were you ever able to post ANY puppy ads this month, and if so, did they get flagged at all? If they have been flagged multiple times, you may be subject to moderation or something... but I honestly have no idea about the internal workings of CL. I wish they had someone that could be contacted directly.

From Wikipedia:

Craigslist has a user flagging system to quickly identify illegal and inappropriate postings. Users may flag postings they believe to be in violation of Craigslist guidelines. Flagging does not require account login or registration and can be made anonymously by anyone. Ads sufficiently flagged are subject to automated removal when a certain number of users flag a posting. The number of flags required for a posting's removal is dynamically variable and remains unknown to all but craigslist.org staff. Flagging may also occur as acts of vandalism by groups of individuals at different ISPs to trigger the automated removal process of postings. Flagging can also alert craigslist.org staff to blocks of ads needing manual oversight or removal.

From http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/faq :

You may post to one category and in one city, no more than once every 48 hours.

If you try to post something similar to an active post of yours on the site, you may get a blocked message. Removing the similar active post should help, unless it is less than 48 hours old.

From: http://dealerpowernetwork.com/how-to-re ... g-blocked/

Assuming you are reading this as a result of experiencing troubles with having your ads ghosted or flagged, we’ll discuss the steps to restore your Craigslist posting privileges. Please note, there are no guarantees of account restoration and no specific formula to follow. The following suggestions are based on past experiences that have resulted in favorable resolutions.

Remove/delete all ads from your Craigslist account that are not showing publicly
Clear your web browsers cache and cookies.
Create a new Gmail email account
Contact your internet service provider and request that they reissue a new ip address
Create a new Craigslist account
Try posting a simple text ad and wait up to 30 minutes to see if it posts
If step 6 is successful, you should be good to go. Now follow the guidelines mentioned earlier in this article to prevent future issues.
If step 6 is unsuccessful, repeat the process and wait at least 2 weeks before attempting to create your new Craigslist account and posting your first ad.

If you follow these steps you should be able to use Craigslist again. In extreme circumstances, you may need further consultation and may have to resort to other measures. You may also try sending an email to [email protected] and explain what you have been doing. You may plead your case by expressing that you understand why you have been banned and plead your case. Then promise not to do it again.

If you have experienced issues with having your Craigslist account blocked or Craigslist ghosting, share your stories in the comments section below and we’ll see if we can help each other.

Here are some suggestions that I'm sure one or more will work.

First clear all cookies and temp files from your computer (download for free CCleaner) that will do the trick. The try your normal browser.

If the above doesn't work, try a different browser on the same computer.

Try a different computer (all the above do from your home which will have your IP address).

If none of the above work try from a different physical location with your CURRENT CL account. If that doesn't work with your current account create a new account. You can set up a Gmail email address for free - if you already have a Gmail put a period somewhere in your address (the emails will still be delivered to your real Gmail account). Example: [email protected], just add a period [email protected]. Online forms such as CL see that as a different email address, yet Gmail sees the address without the period and your mail will be delivered (I've been doing this for years).

If you determine it's because of your home IP address you can always find a proxy site that will mask your IP (such as covermyass.com)........ but I doubt that you will need to do that.

One of the above WILL work for sure.

One more suggestion. Most times, simply unplugging your modem (cable or dsl box not the router unless they are the same box) and waiting a minute and then plugging it back in will cause a new IP address to be issued. Unless of course you have a fixed IP address, but this is very rare unless you have requested one.

You can check your IP address by simply typing "what's my IP" into google search. Check before and after unplugging your modem to make sure it's changed.

Any reader can block your adds if they think you are violating craigs list rules. If someone feels you are breeding animals to consistently sell, you are a breeder and are not allowed. Selling livestock now and then is ok, but if they search you and find tons of adds for animals they will feel you are a "breeder" selling stock.. This is not kosher with craigslist rules. Dog breeders and cat breeders can have adds blocked by readers if more than two people feel you are in business selling animals, its just not what cl wants.

BlueHaven":87rjhnwi said:
Any reader can block your adds if they think you are violating craigs list rules. If someone feels you are breeding animals to consistently sell, you are a breeder and are not allowed. Selling livestock now and then is ok, but if they search you and find tons of adds for animals they will feel you are a "breeder" selling stock.. This is not kosher with craigslist rules. Dog breeders and cat breeders can have adds blocked by readers if more than two people feel you are in business selling animals, its just not what cl wants.

That's only true of dogs and cats. Craigslist flat out states that sale of livestock is ok on the Farm and garden section.

Sali":16xzpn9p said:
BlueHaven":16xzpn9p said:

That's only true of dogs and cats. Craigslist flat out states that sale of livestock is ok on the Farm and garden section.

Yet I get people to delete my posts on F&G section. But in the Pets section I'm okay.

Wish CL didn't allow any Tom, Dick and Harry to flag posts.

I post to CL all the time. Only once did I have problems - the system automatically deleted my ads because I had posted the same ad to multiple cities all within a few hours. (I don't post to multiple cities anymore because they've modified CL so that it will bring up nearby cities if the number of returns for your city are few.)

I have yet to find a site similar to CL that's geared toward livestock. Anybody know of one?

jimmywalt":1gxbw3r7 said:
Sali":1gxbw3r7 said:
BlueHaven":1gxbw3r7 said:

Yet I get people to delete my posts on F&G section. But in the Pets section I'm okay.

Wish CL didn't allow any Tom, Dick and Harry to flag posts.

Doesn't mean you were violating their ToS (you weren't). Some folks are just flag happy and ask friends to do the same. I've only had that issue once or twice and oddly, only with rabbits (I think some people think of them as pets only).

SuburbanHomesteader":298l089v said:
I post to CL all the time. Only once did I have problems - the system automatically deleted my ads because I had posted the same ad to multiple cities all within a few hours. (I don't post to multiple cities anymore because they've modified CL so that it will bring up nearby cities if the number of returns for your city are few.)

I have yet to find a site similar to CL that's geared toward livestock. Anybody know of one?

I use ebay classified
http://www.ebayclassifieds.com

I have had an ad in their livestock section for rabbits for a couple of years. They email you when it's about to expire [after 60 days] and it is east to just re-post it. Or you can edit it first if you want. There is never any flagging, like on CL.

Back