Cowpea and greenbean fodder question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
I was thinking...

I have a bunch of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) plantings in the works now--crowder peas, black-eyed peas, long beans--as well as bushbeans (Phaseolus vulgaris). They are being grown for human food for the pods and seeds.

I was thinking of cutting and feeding them to the rabbits as a legume fodder after the main crop is harvested. But I understand the protein content of the leaves drops off after the plants have set seed.

How much do you think would be lost? Would it still be worth feeding them to the rabbits for protein, or would it be no better (or even worse) for them than ordinary grass or something, in terms of the nutrition they would offer?

I wouldn't rely on it as a protein source, at that stage they'd be no better than grass hay. Please keep in mind that some bean varieties have toxins in the seeds when eaten raw/uncooked so double check on yours.

Thanks! I guess I'll give them some if it's handy, but will look elsewhere for protein to make sure it's adequate...

I wasn't planning on giving them any with seeds in it anyway, only the greens, but thanks for the warning all the same. :)

Latest posts

Back