Couple of questions about feeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemnyj

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to bunnies, and I had a couple of questions about feeding/diet.

First, almost every time that I put my bunny's food bowl into his cage, the first thing he does before eating it is "dig" at it. This usually results in all of his food spilling out into his bedding. Is there something I can do, positioning the bowl differently or something, to keep this from happening?

Second... we are temporarily fostering a kitten, and the bunny often starts eating the cat food out of the kitten's bowl. Will this harm him?

Thanks!

Pet store brand rabbit feed often has dried vegis and fruit in it, and they will scratch to get to their favorite parts (i.e. dessert before dinner). If he is getting plain green pellets, I am not sure why he is doing it.

If the kitten food contains corn and/or grain, that is why he is eating it. My goats would eat the dog's food for that reason.

It wont kill him, but it isn't good for him, either. Could you put the bowl out of reach, or just pick it up before letting him out to play?

Aah, I get it now... he is eating the kind with dried fruits & veggies in it.

And thank you, I'll definitely pick up the cat's food before letting him out!

The type of pellets available at Feed Stores are much better quality. The pet store brands are made to look appealing to the owner, but are not really healthy for him.

Since he is going to be a big rabbit, I think you could get away with storing a 50lb bag without it losing too much vitamin A and E. :?

I would suggest taking enough out of the bag for a couple weeks worth of feeding, and then roll the top of the bag to get as much air out of it as possible, and tightly tape it shut. Store in a cool, dry place- or better yet, in the freezer if you have room.

I no longer feed pellets, but when I did, I used either Manna Pro or Purina Show. Both were good brands.

A good feed will list alfalfa as the first ingredient and will not contain corn or corn by-products.

If he is young and growing, he may be eating the cat food to get additional protein.

Often pet store brands are low in protein as adult pet rabbits only need around 12-14% and protein is an expensive ingredient, please check your feed bag to be sure it is not a protein deficiency causing this behavior.

Dood":2nvsblht said:
If he is young and growing, he may be eating the cat food to get additional protein.

Often pet store brands are low in protein as adult pet rabbits only need around 12-14% and protein is an expensive ingredient, please check your feed bag to be sure it is not a protein deficiency causing this behavior.

I didn't know that!!!! :shock: Well there's one more reason to avoid pet-store-brand rabbit foods!!!! Holy cow.

Thanks guys!

I'll definitely check the ingredients before buying his next bag of feed.

Do any of you know if there are any high-protein snacks I could feed him as well? My fiance's mom lives down the street, and I've been getting some carrots and tomatoes and stuff from her garden for him to snack on. I'm not sure what foods are good for bunnies and contain protein, though.

Hello stemnyj,
I suggest that you add some rolled Oats,
the kind you use to make Oatmeal to the diet.
This will add flesh, not fat. Also a few Black oil Sunflower seeds
would help with the fur shin. Everything in moderation, moderation is the key.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Ivory":2v89tnb3 said:
If your fiances mom grows peas and beans try giving him some of those.

Not beans! Sorry, but beans are not good for rabbits. Peas are okay, but the rabbits may not like them.

If a rabbit is getting a good quality pellet, its protein needs are being taken care of. The very best treats for a rabbit are things like a bit of dandelion, clover, common chicory, plantain (the lawn weed, not the banana thing) etc. See the Safe Plants List for some additional ideas.
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

Off to the garden to do some weeding and gather the bunnies' breakfast...

Also going to recommend you switch to a feed store brand, Mana Pro is wonderful. It might look boring but is much healthier for him.

Thanks, guys!

I've switched to store feed, so hopefully that will help!

I've posted pics of him before, but here's some new ones from when we were playing outside ;D

6dzRAkH.jpg

I0kMqoL.jpg

vYXAOCi.jpg

QUq1Qrk.jpg

He is adorable! It looks like he grew quite a bit since the last pics.

You might start thinking of a room addition to the house... :mrgreen:

MaggieJ":3rse4t4e said:
Ivory":3rse4t4e said:
If your fiances mom grows peas and beans try giving him some of those.

Not beans! Sorry, but beans are not good for rabbits. Peas are okay, but the rabbits may not like them.
Are beans okay if they're cooked? They have a small amount of some toxin, I remember, but I think it's destroyed by cooking?

I have fed the bean plants and the buns love them ... they don't eat the pods or seeds, tho ... I also wouldn't feed any cooked beans ... YMMV.

Latest posts

Back