could this be mites?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
A friend sent me these pictures of her neighbors rabbit... looks to me like it could be mites, but I'm not sure. I asked if it's ears were clear or had the black crustiness, usually found with ear mites, but I didn't get an answer back. unfortunately I don't have any other info, but I was just curious if anyone else has seen something similar.
This is on his nose
nose spot.jpeg

and this is the ear
ear spot.jpeg

The ear looks like pretty classic ringworm- see the circular pattern? As the fungus colonizes the hair follicles, it spreads in a circular pattern outward from the center. As it progresses, the margins can become irregular and not so circular, so that could be what is going on with his nose.

I would treat it with Blu-Kote or Nu-Stock. Both are anti-fungal and anti bacterial. If they don't want to buy a livestock product, they can use human grade Athlete's Foot ointment.

If they want to see it gone sooner rather than later, though, I'd get a livestock product. The directions on the human ones call for treatment for up to six weeks. :razz2:

I'm guessing it's because humans are worried about whether a product stains, smells, or is messy in any way. In order to provide a product that doesn't stain, doesn't have much of an odor, and is as mess-less as possible, they remove the effectiveness. :p

Both of the products MSD recommended are excellent. Blu-Kote will dye anything it comes into contact with (including human skin) purple. No, not purple. PURPLE!!! :lol: But the stuff is extremely effective, and it does dry (though I understand it can still stain when dry). I have a yellow chicken with a purple racing stripe right now. :p Nu-Stock is equally as effective, does not dry (and therefore remains messy), but as far as I have been able to tell, it does not stain. :)

Latest posts

Back