Could someone take a look?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I set up a general homesteading forum for people in the Pacific NW on my site. I haven't seen one and thought it may be nice for one where people could share. Anyways, I did it, then got to looking, and am wondering if I should pull it. I'm thinking it looks like a rip off of HT and don't want that. Could someone take a look and give me some input please? I don't want to link it to my site menu until I know if people think it's just goofy or not.

http://www.stumpacres.com/hsnw

Please be honest!

i like it. i think ht just has a very all-encompassing list, but i dont think yours looks like a rip-off. I'll join (and contribute!).<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:21 pm __________<br /><br />maybe a city folk homesteading section would be neat, too. There are people who do that, even from apartments, and i think that they have very unique challenges.

I added that Shara. That was a great idea! Hope you don't mind me quoting you in the description!

Paula, any homesteading site is going to bear a small resemblance to HT. I don't think it is pronounced enough to be a problem and I like the way you used different titles for the various livestock sections. That gives it its own special touch. One thing you could consider is changing the background colour. So many forums, including HT and this one, go for a shade of blue or blue-grey. Maybe a nice spring green? It's just an idea and please don't feel it is something you "should" do. Just something to consider that might give it a distinctively different look.

Remember that you are not in competition with HT. You are simply providing a regional forum with a homesteading theme. Many HT and RT members will likely participate in both. BTW, don't be afraid to include a Rabbit forum. Rabbits are part of homesteading too!

(pst...Maggie...it's the Hare Raising section!)

I agree that finding a fun, different color scheme would set you apart! (maybe black and colors? eh, that maybe tooo out there)

Thank you for the feedback. I thought the same about the blue. It was the only one I could find without all the 'Simple Machine' logos all over. Then I spent forever trying to get it to say 'Homesteading Northwest'. I think now that I know what I'm doing I could change it in a flash. I want something relatively simple, but yes, different.

And Maggie, did you really think I could create a forum without including a rabbit section? You pick me any subject that a forum could be based on and I bet I could find a way to wiggle rabbits in there. :lol:

I think that it looks good! I agree with Maggie. You are not in competition with Homesteading Today and shouldn't feel guilty about setting up another homesteading forum.
I'm nowhere near the Northwest... but I registered anyway :-D

Tee Hee. I may just add a line under Homesteading Northwest that says "and other places". Anyone is welcome to join! I just wanted a smaller forum feel than HT, although I've gotten some great info from there. I also seem to be terminal there...I swear! I kill threads. :(

WooHoo! Day 1 and I have 5 members! I've got to change that header now! Thanks everyone!!!

I was also thinking, maybe if the header said "Homesteading inthe Northwest". I don't know how many characters you are allowed to put up, but thought it might be a valid suggestion. And, it is ONLY a suggesttion...It is awesome either way!

It looks great dear! I joined and look forward to seeing what people have to say! I'll see if I can convince my mom to join too-she's very into homesteading, the animals and gardening we lived in the middle of no where for years that way so I suspect thats where I get it from :D Now we just need a Northwest Meat Rabbit Producer powwow of some sort :p maybe a bbq sometime this year? Rabbit Potluck? :mrgreen:

Back