Could I potentially show this doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic

Reaction score
This is Clover, she's an 8 month old New Zealand Red doe, her coat is out of condition at the moment, but how does she look? I'm clueless to New Zealands.

998280_184772311703480_2048035070_n.jpg

994575_184880648359313_1831694093_n.jpg

542199_184881691692542_1407445951_n.jpg

1098104_184772785036766_1901519884_n.jpg

I'm not a rabbit noob, just a New Zealand noob.

Epic,
I say: GO FOR IT!
First give her a chance to spruce up,
but on any given day any rabbit has as good a chance as another.
She looks very promising!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thank you!

I'm going to definitely work on conditioning her coat, she needs it lol! She's not pedigreed, I only paid $15 for her lol! She was a good buy I say!

I like her conformation but her shoulders are a bit weak and could use more muscling, if you decide to breed her use a buck with very good shoulders.

Do you know her weight?

I am comparing her to her J feeder and she looks to be on the small side and the minimum weight range for senior NZ does is 10-12lb.

Her colour is very intense and she is one of the darkest red NZ I've seen, very nice :D

shes beautiful....I know you said her coat needs work, but it looks long? or am I just cray cray<br /><br />__________ Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:18 pm __________<br /><br />YuP im cazy, She does look a little uner weight, Well maybe thats cause all my NZW are porkers..... She could prob use 3 lbs

I don't show New Zealands, but I would say she is weak in the loin, hippy, and chopped in the hindquarters.
Every meat rabbit I've ever seen is built like a brick. You cannot see any weakness in their loin, and you definitely cannot see their pin bones.
I agree, she may be a little on the small side. At 8 mos old, she will probably show as an intermediate. You may get away with weight until she grows into a senior.
She has very lovely coloring but her coat is in bad, bad shape for showing.

If you want to show her, be sure to get her tattooed. Check her weight and age for the correct class she should be in. Check her toenails and make sure they are all there and they match.
As ottersatin said, a losing rabbit on one table can be a winning rabbit on another table on any given day, and the only thing price says is how badly the seller wanted to sell. It really is not a guarantee of quality.

I suggest:

1. Getting some high quality feed, like from Sherwood Forest, or supplementing her diet with mimosa/alfalfa/kudzu. At least give her as much forage as you can and make sure she's let loose for a daily run. Should help with building up muscle.

2. BOSS or flax should help with the fur.

She has great color, but her bone structure is very obvious and her fur is mottled. If you can bring up her condition, I'd say to try and show her, but if not, just use her for breeding. If with a good buck, she could easily have some meaty and delicious kits. :dinner:

Back