correct color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow's_Dream

Reaction score
What is the correct color name for my buck? I have been saying he is a tri.. but Is he? I know I see three colors on him, so was wondering for sure.

1718487.jpg

It is not an acceptable colour for showing so there is no official name but he is broken, castor(chestnut) and harlequin. I guess you could say he is a 'Castor Tri'

Asinaway":4r402d9s said:
Broken Castor? I'm not to familiar with tri's though.
I would say broken caster...doesn't look like a tri to me...I only see the castor color and white...unless its not showing in the pic?

These colors all throw me off!! I just had a litter of baby's from him and one of my does.. I thought she was called Harlequin, but found out she is a "harlequinized" castor... they had 3 castor babies.. broken castor, a tri baby and one that I thought was broken black, but it is showing the brown shading on the ears/face now. So I have NO clue!!!! Thank you all for the help though.

Same idea, never seen some one use tri castor...I would not put tri broken castor...no such thing if ask ones that do show more often and not many know what it would refer to which could mess up some one trying to breed color or trying to figure out what to breed. Its just a poor broken castor result of a tri/harlequin breeding effects. I always put harlequin or tri factored broken castor when I got them, depending on what they actually looked like. Nice looking rabbit though other wise! Would be good for tri and harlequins ;)

which would you put on this one (on Sammy, the buck I had pictured)? tri factored Broken Castor... or would you list it as Harlequin? I have him bred to my fawn/blue Harlequin doe due Monday.

Here is the doe I bred him to that produced the tri baby, broken castors, 'harlequinezed castor, and a broken black that is showing the brown around the edge of the ears. I am so totally confused...lol. Sorry If I am boring anyone, just trying to figure out what I have. I was told Maggie, pictured here, is a Harlequinezed Castor also ( how do I list that on a pedigree? )

4224175.jpg

These colors all throw me off!!
I find sorting out Rex colours very frustrating as well.

To be a proper harlequin or tri a rabbit must have agouti, as castors do, but they also must have non extension like fawns do. 'Harlequinized' Castors have full extension and harlequin ( E ej ) on the E-locus and come out like your buck and doe.

Dood":3mpvukyb said:
These colors all throw me off!!
I find sorting out Rex colours very frustrating as well.

To be a proper harlequin or tri a rabbit must have agouti, as castors do, but they also must have non extension like fawns do. 'Harlequinized' Castors have full extension and harlequin ( E ej ) on the E-locus and come out like your buck and doe.

Thank you. I do appreciate all the help. I know I ask ALOT of questions.. but that is the only way to learn. I will eventually get the color thing down... at least I HOPE i do. Thank you<br /><br />__________ Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm __________<br /><br />Okay, I have another question.. I have a fawn buck (sire was Broken black dam: Jap Harlequin). I was wanting to breed Maggie ( the above doe ) to him when her babies are weaned.. is that a GOOD thing, or bad idea? What colors would I possibly end up with, with that breeding?

Pretty much anything, you have to consider the other genetic colors that are recessive and not so apparent. It's safe to say more Castors, or more harlie marked Castors,some harlies and tris. It's neither good or bad, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

__________ Thu May 02, 2013 5:01 pm __________

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":1rhtemr4 said:
Same idea, never seen some one use tri castor...I would not put tri broken castor...no such thing if ask ones that do show more often and not many know what it would refer to which could mess up some one trying to breed color or trying to figure out what to breed. Its just a poor broken castor result of a tri/harlequin breeding effects. I always put harlequin or tri factored broken castor when I got them, depending on what they actually looked like. Nice looking rabbit though other wise! Would be good for tri and harlequins ;)

They are very useful if you are trying to get tri colors. Just sold my harlie marked Castor mini Rex, decided no Mini Rex. Wish she was a Standard Rex, though, I would have kept her.

It's neither good or bad, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
:yeahthat:

Breeding a broken fawn to a castor harli - Statistically 50% should be harlequin/tri and the other half castor harli's and as Skysthelimit said you could get other (25% chance of black) depending on recessives they carry.

Your castor harli doe is Aa B_ C_ D_ Eej
Your fawn buck is Aa B_ C_ D_ ee

Latest posts

Back