cooking whole rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
So, once it's all cleaned up, like the pic below[but headless], what are the ways of cooking it whole like that?

I'm watching the deboning video again, since deboning the duck failed terribly and I don't think I will be able to debone the rabbits ever...

Net pic.
How_to_butcher_a_rabbit_at_home.jpg

I can't properly debone anything but I section just fine. I've done crock pot, then all you need to do is pull meat off the bones. You could roast it wrapped in bacon. If you section it Cacciatore is always a good bet. Anything with chicken can be used for rabbit.

That looks like a nice sized rabbit. I have never be able to get the fur off of the head cleanly, not that it really mattered since I wasn't the one eating it, but I would like to perfect my technique.

Sorry I have no comments about cooking anything, way out of my skill set.

I use to cook them whole but now I take the front legs off, the back legs off and the saddle meat section and belly flaps off. That gives me the meatiest bits for cooking and the ribs and pelvis for stock.

All the little fiddly bones are in the stock and the rest is in dinner.

Before I started sectioning it up I just put it in a pan and baked it with mushroom soup and onions but I like it MUCH better sectioned up.

Now I use it for HEAPS of different things. I guess its just a case of getting use to using it instead of chicken.

Do people eat those 'belly flaps'? Saw one video and the guy said he tosses them...

ChickiesnBunnies":32gxtjfk said:
Do people eat those 'belly flaps'?

We make jerky out of them. Delicious!

I have a complex marinade that I came up with for beef jerky, but we were lazy and just used a store bought Teriyaki marinade with added minced garlic and freshly ground pepper for the rabbit jerky, and it turned out great! Just put it in the oven at 225 degrees for a few hours.

ChickiesnBunnies":1wrnsfx0 said:
Do people eat those 'belly flaps'? Saw one video and the guy said he tosses them...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! He THROWS them AWAY???

They are my favorite part of a rabbit!

To me they have the richest flavor. I like to layer them with garlic and butter and bake them nice and slow until meltingly tender. And so far so good, my kids haven't noticed how much I enjoy them. :lol: I have to share the liver, hearts and kidneys due to my to obvious enjoyment letting them in on the fact they are some of the best bits.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":1wrnsfx0 said:
ChickiesnBunnies":1wrnsfx0 said:

I have a complex marinade that I came up with for beef jerky, but we were lazy and just used a store bought Teriyaki marinade with added minced garlic and freshly ground pepper for the rabbit jerky, and it turned out great! Just put it in the oven at 225 degrees for a few hours.

Ooooo that sounds really nice too! How do you know its done?

Well, he used other parts that other videos seemed to not care for. He said it went to the dogs, anything he doesn't eat.

GBov":7has1za3 said:
Ooooo that sounds really nice too! How do you know its done?

Most of the time it doesn't get "done" because everybody eats pieces to "test it". :roll: It should be dry to the touch, but still somewhat pliable. If you wanted it for long term storage, it should be dry enough to snap in half. We like it chewy, so I just put it in ziploc bags and it is gone within days, so I don't know how long it would last that way. The more moisture it has, the quicker it will spoil/mold. That isn't a problem here because it gets eaten even before it comes out of the oven!

Sometimes to cook a whole rabbit, I will put some seasonings in a pan, then cut off the front legs of the rabbit. I spread the whole rabbit out in the pan, with the inside down, and push down on the rib area a bit to get it to spread enough. I tuck the front legs in under the ribs, put more seasoning on top, cover with foil, and pop it in the oven. I cook at about 350* for 50 minutes or so. Until the thighs are done. :)

I love cooking and spend alot of time in the kitchen. Seeing that rabbit on the plate I 'm thinking rabbit croquettes w/gravy, carrot soup, a piece of cold buttermilk chocolate cake and a hot caramel hazelnut coffee.
NOOOOOOOOO ---------- I can NOT eat John and Jane !!!!!! LOL

MKirst":1wrw4ufr said:
I love cooking and spend alot of time in the kitchen. Seeing that rabbit on the plate I 'm thinking rabbit croquettes w/gravy, carrot soup, a piece of cold buttermilk chocolate cake and a hot caramel hazelnut coffee.

That's why we breed, so we don't have to eat the named ones :lol:

3mina":1mx5zpdh said:
MKirst":1mx5zpdh said:

That's why we breed, so we don't have to eat the named ones :lol:

Yep! So we can love our breeders and eat the rest! :twisted:

The Ronco Rotisserie is my favorite way to cook a rabbit!! Lots of different seasonings, with lots of red pepper flakes!

I have a large crock pot so I usually put a layer of sliced onion, some garlic, the whole rabbit, then seasonings and liquid and cook on high for 4 hrs. Works well.

MamaSheepdog":pzythomr said:
ChickiesnBunnies":pzythomr said:

And they are SUPER YUMMY!!! I am definitely gonna do this with the belly flaps!<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:45 am __________<br /><br />
ChickiesnBunnies":pzythomr said:
So, once it's all cleaned up, like the pic below[but headless], what are the ways of cooking it whole like that?

I'm watching the deboning video again, since deboning the duck failed terribly and I don't think I will be able to debone the rabbits ever...

Net pic.
How_to_butcher_a_rabbit_at_home.jpg

Ok, is it just me :shock: or is that tongue hanging out super creepy? :x :lol:

OneAcreFarm":2ftrnt8g said:
Ok, is it just me :shock: or is that tongue hanging out super creepy? :x :lol:

It most definitely is not just you. I take the heads off right after the rabbit is dispatched every time. Never seen it skinned before. Ick lol

As for cooking I have only ever baked it with some marinade. I've never cooked it whole as it won't fit in our small crock pot.

Gonna have to get a bigger one I guess :)

I had this friend back in high school that wouldn't eat anything with a face. So she could eat steak, but not animal crackers. Seeing this guy with his head on, I'm starting to understand where she was coming from. :hmm:

Back