Converting to grains...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
So, after long thought and deliberation, I've decided to move away from pellets and over to grains, cubes, and hay.

Out of curiosity, what is the general guideline for the amount to feed? I'll be converting over at the speed of my rabbits, so no worries there, but I was curious what the thought was on the final amount. Most of my adults eat about 1 cup a day on alfalfa pellets (some less) along with their daily ration of grass hay and alfalfa cubes.

Also, with the kits, I've been free feeding the pellets with some mana grow and BOSS mixes in (along with the cubes, hay, and greens). Do I do the same with the grains?

Thanks everyone!

Figure out the weight the 1 cup of pellets then feed the same weight with alfalfa cubes starting at around 75% of the ration and the remaining 25% of the weight being grains.

In the summer I would increase the alfalfa and decrease the grains.

If they seem to be gaining or loosing weight or gorging on hay change the ratio of alfalfa to grains a little bit before increasing the weight of food given.

Don't forget they will need a salt and mineral block on this diet

Check out this awesome thread: topic6809.html

Trinity Oaks says his rabbits get 1/2 cup per day, and free choice for nursing does and kits.

Mine get about the same, and of course I adjust if one is getting too fat, or one needs to gain weight quicker. Then mine get free choice alfalfa hay, and a basket full of greens (that's just as much as they can eat)

Latest posts

Back