Contracting Illness at Shows?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickles

Reaction score
Just a quick question... I was talking with my husband about possibly showing Pie (my Elop) and we were concerned that the Pie would "catch a cold" from being around the other rabbits at the show. Have you ever encountered one of your rabbits (or heard of) getting sick, etc... from exposure to other rabbits at a show? Or from the judges who touch the buns and could inadvertently spread bacteria from one rabbit to another? Hmmnnn... ?

My rabbits haven't been sick (knock on wood) and you know how I am about trying to keep things sanitary, but yes it is entirely possible that show rabbits can be exposed to illness and stress can weaken their immune system, too. I enjoy the shows, but there is always that concern lingering in the back of my mind and although people aren't supposed to bring ill rabbits, it happens from time to time. I keep hand sanitizer around and now I try to set up near trusted friends. Unfortunately where there is little control is on the actual show table with the judge because it has seen many rabbits and I have never seen a judge use anything on their hands between rabbits. Since I don't attend a lot of shows, when I do go to one I do a mini-quarantine after to keep an eye on the show bunnies for a few days. Any new stock also goes into strict quarantine for at least a few weeks separate from everyone. I only have a small group compared to some, but I have put a lot into them and I just do the best I can to keep them healthy and happy.

Fortunately I haven't had to make a decision like this, but as I am also trying to breed for good health and part of that is being able to have a strong immune system. Unfortunately if I did have a snotty bunny after a show (ie pasturella) or any other serious health complication, I would most likely opt to cull(euthanize in this case since I couldn't just give the problem to someone else or risk spreading it further) for the safety of the rest of my gang. At the shows themselves, I use my own carriers of course and I typically keep hay for the buns to much on in with them along with water from my house. This seems to help minimize stress and having handled the rabbit frequently and socialized them to day-to-day things like loud noises before the show will help also because they are desensitized to being picked up, posed, hearing different things, etc.

Here is an article on rabbit stress and disease at shows:

http://www.lopsandcavies.com/showing/sh ... isease.htm

That said, I don't think you should be overly frightened about showing, especially if you might be interested in breeding at some point. I learned so much at shows on what areas I need to improve and even picked up tidbits about breeding/health/color/raising/etc. from listening to the judges comments, other respected breeders, and have made bunny friends there, too. Pie and ET have a very similar temperament and ET is really not fazed by shows really at all. He has been to at least four or five off the top of my head and he just kinda hangs out while he is there, is tired from all the excitement the night of the show, and then is back to his old self by morning.

Lauren

Like Lauren said, it is entirely possible for your rabbits to catch something at a show.

The best thing you can do is make sure the show isn't stressful for the rabbit. Hay in carriers is a great way to make them comfortable they can hide in it. I feed Oats everyday for a week before and after a show, and I never keep rabbits that stress out easily. I always have hand sanitizer on me and disinfectant spray or wipes on hand.

Thanks so much Lauren & Devon- great advice! Not too sure yet if I'll show Pie... I am nervous about him possibly getting sick even if the chances are slim (my heart would break), but I am curious. And whats this about the judges not sanitizing after handling separate bunnies?... hmnn... not good. Oh well. Im going to the Conyers show in November to get a feel for things and just watch (not showing)- should be pretty fun. Should I ever show I think Pie could take the stress relatively unaffected. He is a very easy going fella. He is definetly getting conditioned to my touch too(the way I pet him, play with his ears, pick him up, etc...) and I am constantly interacting with him to keep him a happy & spoiled bun. :)

Uh... maybe you should get Pie a nice lady friend and breed some for show that you are not quite so attached to. :) Think what fun it would be to have little Pies tripping over their ears all over the place!

LOL, Maggie.. though the baby Elops ARE super cute!

As far as the Conyers show, I plan to be there for sure, so feel free to bring a folding chair and hang out with us between the judging. There are three shows and lunch is usually after show B, so bring a little moola if you plan to be there around that time because they have pretty good BBQ + cobbler (yum). I should have ET in tow to try to get him that last leg to grand him and I would like to bring Acorn also to get her registered, so hopefully you can meet both of Pie's parents at the same time. :)

Lauren

LOL Maggie! I have thought about breeding, but no serious desire to do so yet. But just the thought of itty-bitty buns hopping all over makes me smile. :)
Lauren, Thanks for the heads up about the show... hope to see you there! :)

Latest posts

Back