Confused.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
We have to go back with a second round of worming because the kits who were in uterus when we wormed, now have worms because we didn't individually worm them. I thought they would get enough from momma....apparently not....lesson learned. :shock:

Anyway, I'm confused about what I was told by two different vets. I happened to be at the clinic where I take my kitties, and the vet who works on exotics (I will call her vet #2), as well as rabbits, figured out the dosage and instructions for the liquid Panacur. I just picked it up there because I didn't want to have to run another 1/2 hour to the other vet who we normally use for our rabbit vet needs.

Vet #1, my rabbit/horse vet, used to raise rabbits for years, old time country vet, and the vet who gave us this dose. This is what we used the first round of worming.

.5 ml - 10 lbs
.4 ml - 8 lbs
(I forget what the kit doses were)
Repeat dose after 2 weeks equaling 2 total doses.

Vet #2 gave us this dose.

1.1 cc for mature rabbits - 10 lb average
.45 cc for 5 lb kits
.3 cc for 3 lb kits
Dose 5 days in a row, repeat in 3 weeks for 5 days in a row.

First thing that confuses me is those dosage amounts are completely different from each other!

Second thing that confuses me is the way the dosages are given, 2 total doses, vs 5 days in a row, to follow up with another 5 days.

Third thing that confuses me, 2nd dose 3 weeks after the first? I normally do a 5 day Safeguard with the ponies in spring and fall, and follow up 14 days later with an Ivermectin. I've always known the life cycle of any egg the first round didn't get, to hatch out within 14 days. At 3 weeks won't that already be producing a whole new round of eggs?

Also, this Panacur looks, and smells completely different than the Panacur from the other vet. This stuff has a look and smell of Kaopectate.

geri

the dosage I've always been given is the same as the first one. I'd follow that medication guideline if I were you. Just my opinion though.

fuzzy9":2luhpzsn said:
Also, this Panacur looks, and smells completely different than the Panacur from the other vet. This stuff has a look and smell of Kaopectate.

It is possible that they mixed the panacur w/ kaopectate to make it more palatable or to counteract diarrhea or perhaps coat the stomach to prevent irritation. It would explain the nearly double dosage.

As for the protocol of worming for several days and repeating in 3 weeks, depending on the type of worms that may be what the vet has found works best, or maybe she suspects coccidea or something else as well? If you know the type of worm you are dealing with, I would do some of your own online research.

I would thing the difference in dosing is probably due to the difference in the medicine.

definitely need to know what the concentration of medication is in order to supply a correct dosage. Remember that algebra in HS you hated-- guess what-- this is the real life application!!! Panacur is also a fairly benign/gentle wormer-- and if overdosed, usually does no harm to the animal.

concentration of medication

Dosing is given by Milligrams of MEDICATION to kilogram of bunny
BUT
then you have the dilution of the medication, so if the medication is .1mg to 1cc (aka milliliter) then you give the approriate dose
a dose of .2mg would require 2cc of medication etc.

I was told when I asked them it is more of a concentrated form than most, and that it's 10% Fenbendazole, if that means anything. I'm not a vet, I don't have the bottles label, and being Saturday I can't call them. I maybe shouldn't question the dose. To me though, if the dose is more concentrated, why would the dose given be more than what the other vet gave us. I do know it's more of a mild wormer, so I wasn't really terribly worried about the dose as much as the 5 consecutive days, repeat in 3 weeks for another 5 days. That's what seems a bit much, and the 3 weeks between first and second dose just seems off.

I did find some information on small animal Panacur 10% for kittens and puppies, and the consecutive days went anywhere from 3 to 7 days, depending on the worm they were treating for. The dosage was also in line with the dosage he gave us for our kits.

Maybe all I should be questioning is the 3 weeks between doses.

I would question the 3 weeks--as most life cycles are around 2 weeks, and you want to hit the new ones BeFOre they reproduce..

10%=.1
but is it by wight?
usually it's not really 10% but rather a mix ratio of .1 medication to 1 volume, so a 1 ml/cc dose will deliver .1g or mg of medication

I would question the 3 weeks--as most life cycles are around 2 weeks, and you want to hit the new ones BeFOre they reproduce..

But too early and they are still too young which is just as bad. Plus does it say 3 weeks from today or 3 weeks from the day of the last dose of the first round cause the first round is 5 days so that shortens the time by nearly a week?

Look you have 2 knowledgeable vets. For whatever reason this one has decided on a different approach. It could be because the other attempt failed, the exotics vet is more up to date on the latest dosages and knowledge, or they just have a different opinion. No matter what it is there is no good reason not to listen to them and give it a try per directions.

akane":hghy6noa said:
Plus does it say 3 weeks from today or 3 weeks from the day of the last dose of the first round cause the first round is 5 days so that shortens the time by nearly a week?

I never considered the other way to look at it, I was assuming it was 3 weeks from the last dose. Definitely think I need to call monday, and question this very thing so I know what exactly was meant.

akane":hghy6noa said:
Look you have 2 knowledgeable vets. For whatever reason this one has decided on a different approach. It could be because the other attempt failed, the exotics vet is more up to date on the latest dosages and knowledge, or they just have a different opinion. No matter what it is there is no good reason not to listen to them and give it a try per directions.

Agree they are both knowledgeable, I wouldn't use them otherwise. :D We kept going with the dosing, and we are on day 4 of the first dose. I figured they haven't croaked yet, so we must be ok. :lol: It's just confusing they could be so different, and the 3 weeks caught me off guard, so I need to question that.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help!<br /><br />__________ Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 am __________<br /><br />Ok, here's the scoop. Spoke with the vet this morning, and the smell is new and improved, they changed it from smelling and looking like chalk, to now smelling and looking like Kaopectate. :lol:

As for the 3 weeks, akane was correct, it's 3 weeks from the first dose, which would technically make it two weeks from last dose to the first dose of the follow-up doses. I wish they had said that, and been more clear from the start.

As far as the doses go, or doing the 5 days, like Terry said, it's overall a pretty mild wormer, so I'm now not going to question that. Since hitting day 5 of the first round, everyone is looking great. My does are eating wonderful, no more being picky. They clean up every last bit of feed I give them. My kits seem to have already grown, and look to be putting on weight much better than before. All in all, I'm seeing much better results with this way of worming, than before when we only did 2 doses at the smaller amounts.

Latest posts

Back