Confused new mama, lost only baby

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberlyann

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your advice. This is my first post, I have been lurking for a while now. I purchased a breeding pair of Jersey Woolies early this past summer, and the mama came with a nursing bunny which I weaned. After a few weeks, I re -bred them, and it did not result in any babies. I figured it was too hot.
So I waited until this fall, and rebred them again.
October 18 would have been her 28 day, and that is when I added her nesting box. She sat in it and played around in it, but was not overly interested in it. By Saturday, which was her 32 day, I thought she had failed again and I should remove her box but did not because I was busy doing other things, but I was with her all day outside doing chores in the yard. No babies.
Yesterday we were expecting some children over from church and I went into the garage to grab a little cage of bunnies to put out for the children to see and there was a huge ball of fur outside of her nest box and one perfect kit dead on the garage floor.
No further sign of any other babies.
Today she is sitting around with a mouth full of fur and hay staring at me.
When I bred her, I only exposed her once, so I really don't expect any more kits, but I don't know why she is still holding hay in her mouth. That is my question. Why is she still "nesting"?

Are we still expecting on day 34?

Thanks!

She very well may not be finished. Rabbits usually kindle around Day 30-31, but some go longer and Day 34 is not out of the "normal" range. I recommend always leaving the nest box in until Day 36, just to be safe. Keep an eye on her... she may still have buns in the oven that will appear soon.

Kimberlyann,
I second what Maggie said.
I have had Does kindle an day 36.
Not often, but it does happen.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

She won't know the difference between a successful or unsuccessful litter at this point. Hormones say she should nest whether she has more or not. I had a doe recently who gave birth to 2 but didn't pull fur until the next day so they froze during our frost warnings that night. She made a wonderful nest with tons of hay and fur but 12hrs too late and never had more kits. I ended up using her nest for orphans of another litter until I had a doe to put them with.

Even if she was bred only once she ought too have more than one baby.i have had several does that always have only one baby (dwarfs)i never keep those.jersey woolies ought too have three too five babies.

Latest posts

Back