Concern or Smooth Cecotrop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AShelBunny

Reaction score
Here's the bunny and the poop.

no symptoms or concerns but saw this this morning.

I'm a newb. Freaking out about every little thing

Attachments

• IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-55-454.jpg
    IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-55-454.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-35-167.jpg
    IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-35-167.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-31-357.jpg
    IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-31-357.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-13-118.jpg
    IMG_2024-02-17-12-16-13-118.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Right there with you, every time I find something else to freak out about it's like oh my God why did I even start with rabbits? I thought quail were bad!

I find those periodically, it looks like it just got stepped on, AFAIK coecotropes look more like a little group of poop grapes, smaller, very soft and sticky. This looks formed then squished, or just a bit soft. If I find anything questionable I pull out the poop tray to examine for normal poop and also anything that looks like mucous or diarrhea.

I'm hoping somebody else who is a pro will weigh in!

soft poop that is squished in my rabbitry means one of the following, not in any order of importance

1. nothing, just a squished poop
2. doe ready to breed
3. doe on kits about three weeks along when hormones are rising again
4. doe about to have kits

Some does are more prone to them than others.

a soft poop from a buck generally means I take it more seriously. It's often a sign then of an impending gastric attack.

Not a worry if everything else is fine. Some bunnies will stop eating cecotropes if you feed too many pellets. I think it's a matter of getting enough vitamins the first digestion, and therefore refusing to eat them when pellets are tastier. I've got one doe that makes a habit of it.

Take it out of the floor though, and check the feet to make sure there isn't poop stuck to the fur. This stuff dries up hard, and all you can do to get it off the footpads is trim the fur; not ideal.

The pictures are frosted and grainy, but to me it looks like several round poops stuck together. That is a sign of the digestion slowing down and the poops backing up, coming out as a clump, and being a little wet when expelled, were stepped on and then dried in that spot.

I see this in my rabbits when I have given them a little too much BOSS or Oats. Maybe he had something to eat that slowed his gi tract? A treat, a new food, and even a fur ball could cause this . . .

I use an oil spritzer with Olive Oil on their pellets to combat blocks from fur. The olive oil should work to get the gi tract moving again.

Back