Completely off topic - death at sport event

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zab

Reaction score
I'm not a sport person. Perhaps that's why I find this completely strange, weird, stupid and... impossible to understand.

In a town nearby there was a soccer event. Fights at these events has been more and ore common, people ("supporters") raiding the arena and making them cancel the match and stuff. Of course most people think that's bad.

This time a person died. A father of four was hit from behind and beaten to death.. because he cheered on the wrong team. As I've understood it, he was not one of those storming out on the arena.. but smoke bombs and stuff where thrown to the seat places and it has been an inferno of violence, noise and whatnot. And a guy died... for that reason? Also I believe the (one of the?) persons giving the final beating lives down the street from here.

I realize that it's a few morons thinking that violence is ok, most doesn't. The team and supporters of both teams gathered in a ceremony against the violence and what not, yesterday.

But how can people fail to see the connection between the widespread mentality that it's ok to dislike and yell at someone just because he cheers on the wrong team, and the morons taking it all a leap further? It is a big leap no doubt.. but there's nuanses everywhere. It's not black or white, there's a whole lot of grey... And, in my personal opinion.. when it's concidered ''cute'' to watch a five year old boy stomp on a picture of a person that cheers for the ''wrong'' team, you are way out on the dark grey side. (Such a video was posted on facebook before this event, the boy asks ''who's that?" the father say the persons name, the boy ask what team he cheers for, learns it's the wrong team and starts stomping the picture while the dad laughs and say he's good..the comments on the video was all ''haha'' and ''good boy!" types) It DOES say something about values.

I have a few friends who's into sports, be it socker or hockey. And they are never late to talk about how stupid other teams supporters are, brawlng on about them not having any brains and whatnot. Not so much that the team sux, but that the supporters are bad. With an ''they deserve to get hurt'' attitude. Don't take me wrong, I doubt any of these friends would actually hit someone. At the most they perhaps might storm the field if they had enough to drink and where cheered on enough, though.. As a ''fun'' thing.

But please tell me I'm not the only one seeing a connection between the mentality of the majority that it's fine to hate someone only because they cheer on the wrong team, and some people taking that way, way further?

If I look up, beside the whole sport thing.. I see the same in society. In more ''serious'' matters. And people just don't see the connection between a general acceptance ''It's right to hate someone if they think this" to acting out on that thought. Yes.. most people won't go too far. And still history shows over and over again how that mentality can be used to turn a whole nation or group of regular people into doing things to others that they never thought they'd agree to do. And it always start with the ''harmless'' thought that "they are less worth than us, because..." they cheer on the wrong team/they have the wrong beliefs/they look different/they're the wrong gender/they speak different. The wrong -or right, depending how you see it - person picks that up, builds on it and suddenly you have a nation of regular people doing unspeakable things to others. And noone can understand how it ever got that far. They say ''there must have been something wrong with that person/group because he didn't stop himself". Over and over, the same thing happens.

I can't say for sure that I think there is a malfunction in the brain of the person beating a supporter of the wrong team to death the other day. I think that it may be the situation, it may the mood that arouse, the people around him cheering him on, the spark that say ''It's ok to hate him".. I don't believe that man got to the event with plans of killing someone. I think the human brain is an easy-manipulated thing. It's not an excuse, I hope he feels really, really bad for what he has done. And all the others storming the arena and cheering him on, causing the ruckus. There might be something wrong with him too. I don't know, I don't think I've ever met him.. if I did I don't know who he is. But I wouldn't bet my life on it. Perhaps, put in the exact same circumstanses, building from the same experiences.. it could have been anyone.

Sorry for this serious and way off topic post.. I need to vent but I don't know where else..

I find that thought process to be steadily increasing in the US. I've switched mainly to using international forums for more than just animal issues that I've complained about before or at least US forums with a lot of canadian members because the US forums are black and white. It's so easy to end up on the receiving end of hatred just for your opinion or sometimes even a question. I was also never in to team sports for that reason. I did animal ability (not conformation) competitions growing up. Horses and dogs mainly. Only thing determining your placing from someone else' placing in barrels is a neutral timer. Although I still saw one show that they gave a restart to someone having issues with their horse and 2 other parents thought their children should get restarts too and were screaming at the judge and shoving each other. Finally one of the people running the show just said he'll give all 3 of them the $50 prize out of his own pocket before someone gets hurt or they continue to be poor sportsmanship role models. Then when we got to state someone slapped their horse on the neck when it was acting up and there was a cry to disqualify him. Ok that's one of those grey areas that they could be right for. However what followed was parents calling people on the same charge for petting their horse on the neck. It reached the point you couldn't praise your horse, calm your horse, or I even got told to stop putting my hands so high up on the neck in order to control my speed event mare. My sister was on a horse that couldn't really compete against the others at all so she blew several events by finishing and then walking her horse to the center of the ring and petting and praising it which got her DQed. I dislike the conformation type shows more though because they just follow the latest fad extreme. Once again if you are against the latest fad you are completely wrong and worth hating and reporting to all other breeders/show crowd about how horrible you or your animals must be. There is no live and let live or acceptance of grey areas.

Yeah.. why can't people feel pride about their ''team'' or group (or horse) without badmouthing others?

That's terrible, reading about the father who was killed (!) for his sports allegiance. :(

Sports hooliganism, esp. football/soccer, has been increasing for the past 10 to 12 years (I think). Poor sportsmanship has also been increasing, esp. in the United States, at least that long if not longer. It's gotten so bad that some Little League (baseball) teams have forbidden parents to attend their children's games because parents were screaming abuse at the members of the "other" team and (of course) at the officials. Little League Baseball has even published a guide to parents on how to behave (!) at their children's games

A football/soccer referee was killed in Utah last spring by a player who didn't like a call the ref made: news story. The general trend of assaults on officials was and is distressing.

I don't know how this vicious behavior started, and I sure don't know how to stop it, but it's discouraging to hear that it's spreading.... :(

Sad to hear it happens over there too.

I think the problem is that people can't figure out a better way to support than by diminishing the opponents. And that it's concidered ok by the geneal public to express hatred and contempt against the others while cheering on your own team. It's concidered harmless words.. but words have a way to imprint themselves in the brain and turn into thoughts.. which turns into emotions and actions.

Most supporters are not hooligans.. but I've found that even those that's not, will shout insults to others.

Because of what happened, the next town decided to TEMPORARILY remove the ''Hate XXX (opposite team)" t-shirts and other items. Why would they sell any such thing to start with? I think I see where things are going wrong. It's in the small ''harmless'' things that express hate.

I completely agree.
What scares me more...is the way the political parties play us off each other just like sports teams...when will be OK to hate the "other team" or "other religion" enough to hurt someone?

I don't even understand hate. I never have. On a base level, it takes WAY too much energy to hate someone. I have better things to do with my time.

Zass":1m34lcm4 said:
I completely agree.
What scares me more...is the way the political parties play us off each other just like sports teams...when will be OK to hate the "other team" or "other religion" enough to hurt someone?

I don't even understand hate. I never have. On a base level, it takes WAY too much energy to hate someone. I have better things to do with my time.

I do have to agree with the comments above, and add --that I see The US and other countries using media to fan hatred among their people to get them in the "mood" to except an invasion of another country, and another horrible war.
When I read an article from a major "State news source" I have to ask myself just what the government "Ministry of Mis-information " is trying to make me think/ feel by feeding me this information.

When I read an article from a major "State news source" I have to ask myself just what the government "Ministry of Mis-information " is trying to make me think/ feel by feeding me this information.

I don't trust any "information source" that is attempting to elicit an emotional response instead of providing a logical argument. It helps rule out a surprising amount of misinformation.

Zab":3buy2qe5 said:
Yeah.. why can't people feel pride about their ''team'' or group (or horse) without badmouthing others?

They can. It's called "good sportsmanship"... something that doesn't seem to be valued very highly anymore. :(

Unfortunately, too many people want to win at all costs and will lie, cheat, and steal to attain their goals. :angry:

Unfortunately, the media has made "evil" more acceptable. You will notice in films that the villains usually have many likeable characteristics, and bad deeds are not always punished.

I think that we see so much violence in entertainment- whether television, movies, or video games- that we have become somewhat desensitized to it and some people don't realize that in the real world the consequences are permanent. That father will not magically revive to appear at another game as an actor will in a film. :(

I believe another factor is the psychiatric drugs that are used to treat our youth. Many have adverse effects that cause violent behavior both while using it and when the medications are discontinued.

Despite that, I still have faith in the majority of humanity. I believe people are generally "good", but in this age of instant information and the fact that bad news brings high ratings, we all hear of the atrocities that happen.

There have always been terrible people but until the last couple hundred years people were so isolated that they would never hear of something that happened in another region. Now we are aware of things that happen worldwide, which makes it seem that much more commonplace.

I like watching all those violent shows and playing those games and I was on meds since I was 12. I still didn't celebrate like my former friend when the top competition had her horse die suddenly of probably an aneurysm. I have a competitive side but I only let it out occasionally. Most of the time I enjoy the activity more than winning. If I run a really good flag race and then someone manages to beat me I just grin and think about how they cut a few more seconds than me off their time. Another part of why I hate team sports. I don't want people counting on me to win because my first goal may not be to win. It's to play the way I want. Much like my sister blowing all those classes to protest the poor sportsmanship.

Back