Colors- Interesting steel and is this sallander?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm posting these for a friend :)

This doe is neat. See that pretty white belly?? My friend (who owns her) and I couldn't decide what color she was as she grew. I thought her steel when she was smaller. But, as she developed she showed almost all of the markings of a squirrel(blue chinchilla). So we thought squirrel for a while.

Yep, a steel fooled me :oops:

Well, bred to an agouti, she threw steel kits o_O So...looking closer...

There ARE eye circles visible that do not show up in the pic. Her ear lining isn't as clear as I would have expected for a squirrel, and looking REALLY close she lacks the ring color her fur should have when blown into. Her belly is very white, but it isn't as large of a white area as it should be. The white on her feet covers a bit less than in a un-steeled squirrel (hard to see here, but we had one for comparison ) In an opal or agouti the white area would look messier for all the tawny color that shows more than white on gold tipped steels, but chinchilla eliminates that tawny color, leaving the marks SO MUCH whiter.

So...She is a really heavily marked silver tipped blue steel. A_ B_ Cchd_ dd Es_
imagejpeg952_2.jpg

And...we had initially thought this doe to be a frosty(when she showed only a little dark tipping on white), but her coat became much darker as she aged. I'm not seeing agouti marks...is this Sallander? If so, it's also my first time seeing it IRL. :)

imagejpeg952_3.jpg

Very nice :)

I do think the second kit is a sallander - not a typically marked one with nice clean lines - but a lot of the French Lop "iron grey" are similarly smutty looking sallanders

Thanks zass for posting these does..A little background on them. the first doe is out of a opal mixed breed buck and a American blue doe.. boy she had me fooled:)
the second doe is out of a new Zealand mix buck and a different American blue doe, who also throws torts..

smara":3imrf6pk said:
Thanks zass for posting these does..A little background on them. the first doe is out of a opal mixed breed buck and a American blue doe.. boy she had me fooled:)
the second doe is out of a new Zealand mix buck and a different American blue doe, who also throws torts..

NZ mix buck... was that Zack? If so, sallander makes sense because she'd have to be self based.

That would be a

selfchinchilla and non-extension color
aa B_ Cchd_ Dd ee She can't carry steel (but could throw them if crossed to an agouti steel, since both genes are dominant) She would have one copy of dilute since her mother was a blue. She she can throw blue based colors with a buck who also has at least one copy of dilute.

The color coding seemed popular, so I added it for others to understand how we figure this stuff out ;)

If she was agouti based, we would call it frosty.

Here's your chocolate chinchilla and lynx. It's a shame the chocolate color didn't really come through in the image.

__________ Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:12 pm __________

Or maybe he just looks darker than he is next to the very soft shaded lynx?

Attachments

• imagejpeg952_5.jpg
    imagejpeg952_5.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 681
loving that choco. chin!! I think I've become addicted to chinchilla!

I've had kits look like that steel doe and the only clue I got was smutty ear coloring. That sallander is kinda smutty to me, I normally see them with clear torted markings (dark feet/ ears/ nose) but looks sallander to me. :)

Latest posts

Back