color ID help?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
This color pops up sometimes, and I'm not sure what to label it. :shock: I've just been calling it "chestnutty." lol I can't tell if it's really heavy steel or agouti. The siblings of the rabbits that turn out like this are steels that are mostly black. Some photos of steels I see look a lot like my "chestnutties," so I'm kinda confused here. :s They're just meat mutts, so it's no big deal...I'm just curious. XD

Attachments

• rabbit.jpg
    rabbit.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 646
  • Pelt01.jpg
    Pelt01.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 646
  • Pelt02.jpg
    Pelt02.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 646
I would say steel agouti.

I have the steel gene in my meat mutts and sometimes every kit turns into a different shade of agouti, as well as the mostly black steel agouti that their father is.

PICTURES
From the top center down - Agouti, Chinchilla, Steel Agouti, Steel Agouti and two blacks (the black on the left is actually a false black and is an agouti that carries two steel genes and the one on the right is a self black but has the steel gene so she has lots of white hairs in her coat)

Their father - Blackavar - my 6 year old 11 pound NZ buck

Attachments

• Blackavar dec 2012.JPG
    Blackavar dec 2012.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 640
  • female rabbits 1.jpg
    female rabbits 1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 640
There's also this. GTS, but it's got these random white hairs all over too. Anyone got a clue? :?
1-19-13_Posi-x-Mag.png

And would these kits be called red or orange? XD They're quite a bit paler than their mum.
1-19-13_01.png

Pardon my newbie color questions. ^^;

The black rabbit looks like it is silvering. Did it start out solid black?

The bottom group are reds.

Nice bunnehs! :)

It started out like a normal steel...then got the white hairs. o_O

It started out like a normal steel...then got the white hairs. o_O

Did you mean 'normal black'

It could be a silver tipped steel which is a black chinchilla steel.It could also be a self black with the steel gene on the E-locus or a 'false black' which an agouti rabbit with two steel genes but the these coloured kits normally start out black (not steel) and the white hairs show up as they age.

He was mostly black with brown tipped hairs, like the kit in the pic I attached. Sometime between 6 and 9 weeks, not sure when, I noticed he'd grown those white hairs all over. He's got the white hairs as well as the brown-tipped hairs, though you can hardly tell in the previous pic I got of him. :shock:

Attachments

• 8-30-2012-1.png
    8-30-2012-1.png
    504.5 KB · Views: 612
Hello Nyctra,

That first rabbit is agouti (chestnut), not steel. When you breed two steels (EsE) together, you'll get about 1/4 agouti (EE), 1/2 steel (EsE), and the rest apparently black (EsEs).

If those red ones are related, then you can be pretty sure the dark steel rabbit's white hairs are from the Vienna gene. It can show up as scattered white hairs as well as white patches.

Back