Color Help- MR

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asinaway

Reaction score
Breeding broken's is really a side thing in my Varieties, I usually concentrate on reds and castors. So I don't often get surprises because I strictly breed red to red, and castor to castor. Officially started on broken reds, so bred my broken castor doe to my broken Red buck. Got a solid castor, a broken castor, a broken red (yay finally) and this one pictured below.

So what is this considered or called in Mini Rex. Completely white but looks like only a bit of color on the tip of the ears and face.

Is this a Charlie? I have heard the term false Charlie what exactly is that. Or would you consider it a broken red with no pattern or minimal color? I honestly have no clue!

fo2hio.jpg

212vhur.jpg

I would say charlie. Which could help with your project as true Charlie's(assuming it is) also throw brokens.

Ok can you breed a Charlie back to a broken to get nice patterns?. I think I read that a Charlie wont produce a Charlie? I honestly am clueless about this. Thought it would be a fun side project since my reds make me wanna pull my hair out.

That will increase the amount of Charlies you get. The idea is to breed charlies to solids to get all brokens.

Oh okay, I understand now. I think I may keep this one to give me more broken reds. I have a really nice red buck if this is a doe.

Thank you for that link, really helpful.

I think my plan will be then, to breed it to a red buck or doe once I figure out the sex and it's the correct age. Then take a kit from that litter and line breed it back to the grandsire who is broken red. I'm sure I'd probably get some Charlie's from that but I'd probably get some nice marked red kits. Cause my brk red buck is gorgeous!

It might be good, if you have a really red self to breed with it, you will get all brokens (0 charlies) and get rich color.

That broken red buck in your avatar is quite handsome :D

Dont forget about the rufus factors or your reds could look like orange and then fawn. You must keep the deepest darkest reds, not just the ones with a perfect broken pattern.

I hear you on that one sky, hence me wanting to rip my hair out! :wall: I had to start with crap and work my way up because a lot of the nice reds were so out of my price range, or no one was willing to sell what they worked so hard for and I don't blame them. I'm finally producing nice clean reds, but it's been hard and I am very selective. My herd sire is very clean, and had sooo much potential but we have been fighting some eye problems, so I may need to cull soon.

Dood Im not afraid to cull for type and color, I don't keep fawns and have not run across anything to orange as of yet. I'll defiantly watch out for that. My friend is getting consistently awesome reds right now, and she works with broken reds as well, so if I run into a problem I can start over with her help.

Thank you gypsy, It took me a long time to run across a nice broken red buck. My friend found him originally at a show and If I had hesitated for even a second more on him, someone else would have grabbed him, he had caught quite a few peoples eyes. His density is not that great, but his type is nice and his red coloring is what we like to see. He's kind of a brat too, which usually I will not tolerate but he was a hard find.

I'll have to get some updated pictures, but its red not castor. I thought so to when I looked at that pic again, but really picked it up yesterday and looked def red.

Back