Colony Rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
I've never heard of keeping rabbits in colonies, but I'd love to try it. I feel like a hypocrite hating factory farming and then keeping rabbits in cages >.<

How does it work? Can open does stay together? I was always told that they'd fight. When do the does get moved from the colony to have babies? (Or do they have them in the group pen?)

I'm very intrigued!

some people put the buck in to breed, some leave him in, does can stay in the colony together, but take it from me, yopu might want to start with weaned doe kits. I have had problems trying to introdoce my adults...dead babies. if you have enough nest places for the does, they will nest right in there. Make sure they cant dig out of the colony, as rabbits tunnel.

How do you keep them from digging out? I've read a few topics and everyone's talking about nesting burrows, are we talking like literal burrows in the ground?
When I think "colony" I think them digging all over and living like prarie dogs outside underground. Is this right?

I feel like I've discovered a part of some secret rabbit underground group...no pun intended!

There are many styles of colonies. Outdoor colonies provide a life close to that of the wild European rabbit from which our domestics are descended. The enclosure is fenced, usually with the fencing buried to prevent dig-outs and usually covered to keep out owls and hawks. Some people use electric wires to keep out predators such as raccoons and coyotes. This type of colony can be great, but it is not cheap if you are going to do it right.

Increasingly popular are small, indoor rabbit colonies. Perhaps these should really be called community pens. They are a viable option for backyard rabbit raisers with only 2-3 does and a buck. The rabbits live together in a shed or other structure. My little community consists of three does and buck plus five fryers and two young kits. They have an area about 8 feet square. I started it in November. The rabbits love it, but I am still tweaking and fine-tuning. There are many problems that can crop up when rabbits are housed together, but there are rewards too: a nice lifestyle for the rabbits, simplified daily care, the joy of seeing rabbits being rabbits. :)

I've been raising rabbits for nearly six years. When I started, the wisdom was individual cages and a pellet diet. I began asking a lot of questions on another rabbit forum about natural foods and encountered extreme resistance to the ideas at first. Then all of a sudden, it was the new cool thing to do. Now it's the same way with colonies. It's nice to have choices but I do hope people contemplating changes will do their homework first. Neither colony raising nor natural feeding are methods that can be jumped into without a basis of knowledge.

There are basically 3 types of colony setups: 1)full blown outdoor things...fenced area, with "coops" for them to hide in, and feeders; 2)indoor colonies...like a horse stall where you put in a nest box setup, feeders, etc.; and 3)something that's a combination of 1 and 2.

A full blown setup either needs to be REALLY big, with your feeder at the center, or you need some way of keeping them from digging out. Most people will dig a fence of some sort up to 2feet down around the fence line. that keeps bun from digging out, and predators from digging in. (although a good hotwire running along the bottom of the fence will stop most predators)

A modified colony might be large pens set up in a portable garage structure, or a shed or even a barn. hmm. you could think of those as "chicken coop". A floor so they can't dig out, feeders and waterers. You just let the rabbits run in the pens. They will groom each other, play, generally have fun (it's fun to watch them develop friendships and personalities.) Again...you need to predator proof (barn cats, racoons, coyotes, etc.)

In an outdoor colony, you can leet them dig their own burrows to kindle in, or give them something like a big box (small unit they can use as a house) above ground, maybe a prebuilt tunnel made of ceramic pipe that goes into a cement "box" underground (that seems to work quite nicely). One person I remember had simple dug small holes about 6inches deep in the area he wanted the does to nest in. He said it worked like a charm.

A couple of things to know about colonies. The rabbits can go quite wild very quickly. there are people who have show rabbits in colony set ups tho. They just do a LOT more "hello bunny, come get the treat and be handled" than you would normally do with a caged bun.

whether to leave the buck in with the does depends on what you want. After a few months of being bred all the time, the does WILL get assertive and tell mr. buck "get lost". (well, most of them will) If there are a lot of does, Mr. Buck won't have time to go after everyone all the time. BUT...you can pretty much count on rabbit kits every month or 2. I keep my buck in a smaller pen right next to the does. he goes in with the does when I want kits, and stays with them until a couple days before kindling. They've always accepted him back into the colony without problems.

As Shara says, tho, don't try to put adult does into a colony unless they grew up together and bonded. (unless you have a REALLY big fenced in area where one can run and hide). Does are NOT friendly to other does. (or you're like Maggie and have magic bunnies. I swear..she has some of the nicest animals)

I want to say, as well, if you get into a colony, real;ly really read up! I read everything i could find, became confidant i knew what i was doing, took the plunge, and let me tell you, there is a learning curve!I am sticking with it, because I really, really, want a colony, but it has been hard and discouraging for me at times. I would recomend you get does as young as you can, and start them together in the colony.

If its done right, the rabbits should be happy, well fed, well bred, and you will have less work to do. If you do it wrong or have rabbits that do not get along, it is a real nightmare.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Shara. I'm sorry your learning curve has been so steep. :(

I credit the late great matriarch of my herd with the "niceness" of my rabbits. Patches was an exceptional doe and a wonderful momma. She trained her babies and they all grew up nice. Alice, our present matriarch, is her daughter. She's a lot like Patches. All my rabbits, except our buck, are descended from Patches.

It is best to start with one doe and let her raise a couple of daughters in the colony. Alternatively, start with two or three young doelings and raise them to maturity together. Putting mature does together can be problematic for sure!

Thank you so much everyone! I'm so excited over this.

I think I may have inadverdantly done the second type of colony once lol. I had three Harlie does raised together and didn't want to seperate them, so I kept them together in a horse stall. I put the weanling meat babies in there and they all were buddies, and running around, it was cute until my folks wanted the stall to raise turkeys. Then everyone went back into cages.

Latest posts

Back