Colony buck attacking doe???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlynn

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place but need advice. I have silver fox rabbits in a colony. Shelters they are closed in at night for added predictor protection and free run of yards during the day. This has worked fairly well for more than a year. One group has 5 does and 1 buck. There have been multiple sets of kits. Now the buck is attacking one doe. She is nursing a litter of 7, one week old. He was aggressively chasing and biting,
pulling chunks of fur, ripped a flap of skin on her shoulder. I caged him for a time out. But Everytime I try to let him out he goes after her again. I hate to have him living in a cage there has been peace up to now. Multiple ages of kits. Why is he doing this? How do I stop it. Can I ever have them together again? HELP!

I have seen this happen with individual rabbits--some just don't get along, and age and hormones can be a factor, so over time group dynamics can change. I don't know that he can be rehabilitated in the context of this particular doe. You probably need to readjust your group to avoid them interacting.

I would question whether you want to breed an aggressive animal if colonies are your thing. I would replace him with a more easygoing animal myself. I do not have colonies, but I am not a fan of handling human aggressive rabbits, and I wont keep offspring from one. Over time you can choose to have more or less aggression according to what breeds and a buck is half your herd.

If you do not want to cull him to the freezer you have a great proven buck of a desirable breed to sell at a nice price to someone who keeps cages maybe?

I have seen this happen with individual rabbits--some just don't get along, and age and hormones can be a factor, so over time group dynamics can change. I don't know that he can be rehabilitated in the context of this particular doe. You probably need to readjust your group to avoid them interacting.

I would question whether you want to breed an aggressive animal if colonies are your thing. I would replace him with a more easygoing animal myself. I do not have colonies, but I am not a fan of handling human aggressive rabbits, and I wont keep offspring from one. Over time you can choose to have more or less aggression according to what breeds and a buck is half your herd.

If you do not want to cull him to the freezer you have a great proven buck of a desirable breed to sell at a nice price to someone who keeps cages maybe?
Thank you for answering my panicked plea for help. When momma of the new kits started laying next to his cage I realized there was an extra doe in their yard. The one he was attacking was actually his sister, who lives in an adjacent yard with a buck from a different line. Now that she's removed there is again peace. Guess I can't hold defending his territory against him. He doesn't seem overly aggressive with me, his does, or the several groups of kits that share his space. That why the sudden and repeated ferociousness scared me. Thanks again for your input and advice

Back