Colony behavior

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celice

Reaction score
So, I've been raising rabbits colony style for a year now and I've notices some interesting behavior that I don't normally see in my hutch bunnies.

I have 2 bucks and 16 does in my colony pen. I've noticed a very orderly pecking order going on in both my bucks and my does and fights do happen but they are not gut busting tear-yo-eyes-out kind of fights, it's more like a chase around the pen and a nip at the hocks to put the offender in their place. The dominant buck rules with an iron fist and come breeding time he sires the most litters, the second buck dose sire litters just not as many and he keeps well out of the dominant bucks way; they don't fight just spat ever now and then over receptive females. But like always it's the does that chooses which buck sires their kits, and there is favoritism among the does!!! some does like the smaller less dominant lilac sable but most seem to like the buff large chocolate chinchilla.

Does have a strict pecking order - far more so than the bucks - the dominant does I have are 2 NZW girls that are pretty laid back for the most part but they don't tolerate shenanigans from the younger girls! If a fight brakes out it's usually between two does. But, like I said it's mostly a ring-around the pen chase and nip or kick that puts the other one back in her place. And the shocking thing is that rabbits apologize to each other! I've seen one doe accidentally gave a bigger doe a rather rude gesture (ear back, tail lifting, growling, lunging) and then get nipped for it, and after that the offending doe will go up to the one she wronged and put her head under the older does.

they also synchronize their birthing. I have does having kits 1-2 week apart from each other - so I have 4, 2 week olds, and new borns in my pen right now - I'm not sure what the purpose is for this but it happens.

Rabbits pretty mutch work out their problems. And when it comes to kits it seems like everyone is walking on eggshells! Kits are ignored for the most part maybe for the exception of one of the bucks or does chinning their ears every once in a while, and they are always careful not to step on them. Mothering does will even help each other raise kits; I've seen one kit get tired from it's own litter mates and crawl over to a different does litter on the other side of the pen. The doe doesn't seem to care.

I also have seen mothering girls fearlessly stand guard over their kits in the colony from other rabbits and my dogs if they get too close. If another rabbit gets too close the mother swipes, growls, and if need be chases the other one away - and more than once has my dogs met the biting teeth of a mom rabbit defending her kits (they seem to like to nest near the doors). They only leave to eat or drink.

Rabbits even have a family bonding time. Like clock work, during the middle of the day the rabbits lay next to one another and start groom each other - bucks, does kits they all pick a little group and sleep the afternoon away.

I'll try to take pictures of these behaviors if I can. :D

They do mostly work things out. Sometimes you get a knock down fight where they jump at each other and try to flip the other one to the ground but despite the loud thuds when they fall and the aggressive looking moves no one is ever injured. Someone decides they are going to lose and then things switch to the chasing until places are established. I did have one doe I would remove during her second week of pregnancy because she would challenge all the top does nonstop for that hormonal week.

Only thing I found is you should check the hindquarters for infected bite marks. They do sometimes break skin when giving a dismissal nip and it does occasionally get infected. I didn't realize one was infected until the abscess was like golfball sized above her tail and had already broken open. She did survive. I put down one who had an abscess in the back of each leg. This was a particular buck being overly aggressive and I sold him to be a caged buck and replaced him with another from that breeder. I stopped finding so many infections again but it's something to check whenever an event happens in your colony like a new rabbit or a young one reaching maturity and trying to establish itself. You can feel the little scabs or flaps of skin the width of a rabbit mouth when you run your hand over the fur.

karebru":1nk4xnpw said:
I've only had rabbits for a couple of months and have been very surprised at how complex they are socially and psychologically.
I found this web site while surfing around... http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ Bunnies ain't just dumb rodents! They're as formidable as a stubborn old hound dog! :lol:

Not rodents at all, in fact. But it's not surprising that they have a lot of communication skills since they live in groups.

Chinchillas are rodents and they are far more complex socially and at least as intelligent. I don't know why people are so surprised a small animal can be intelligent and interact with those around it beyond fighting or breeding. I even had someone say I was being unfair to cats and they hope I don't have any cats when I said some rabbits are probably just as intelligent.

I once had a pair of critters called duprasi. They are a fat, round gerbil relative but a bit more hamster like in personality. Being rather lazy, digging creatures rather than jumping/climbing and difficult to keep with their own kind most people decided they were stupid, low activity animals that don't need a complex environment. Well first mine created complex structures while digging. They would even use their food bowls to support tunnels or create hiding places at the end of tunnels. Then one of my 2 died and with there being 2 usda approved breeders in the entire US I couldn't get another. My remaining one stopped eating and just laid on the brick where her sibling died. Thinking about their shape and behavior similarities (except in intelligence) I grabbed one of my sister's dwarf hamsters and put it on the other side of a wire divider. Seeing this other creature my duprasi, Kiri, suddenly got active again and after running back and forth along the divider went and ate her whole bowl. So I bought Kiri 2 baby dwarf hamsters. They accidentally introduced themselves early with minimal issue. Just try to build an anti baby hamster divider that isn't solid. Kiri freaked at the hamster unhappy noises they make when arguing until she realized that was just what these strange things did. Kiri and her hamsters moved in to a big tank together with a hollow bamboo log for sleeping. Kiri tried to tell them they shouldn't sleep with her but like a persistent cat or dog her hamsters kept sneaking in her tube to sleep. Eventually one day she gave up and built her nest to include them. When they argued too annoyingly she would bounce out and nip them on the tails. Their behavior got more and more interesting as she basically punished and trained them like her pets or some children who weren't too bright. I actually got an article published in a UK journal after sending an email to the person running the international gerbil species site. Sadly I cannot find these any longer in the US.

Don't underestimate the small animals. They may not interact as well with humans as dogs or even cats do but that doesn't mean they are stupid. It's like the smartest dog lists they put out. Spitz breeds like my shiba, akita, and husky are never near the top but that's not because they aren't smart. It's because they don't have as much desire to interact with humans. It makes people rate them as less intelligent.

akane":2dri0986 said:
Don't underestimate the small animals. They may not interact as well with humans as dogs or even cats do but that doesn't mean they are stupid. It's like the smartest dog lists they put out. Spitz breeds like my shiba, akita, and husky are never near the top but that's not because they aren't smart. It's because they don't have as much desire to interact with humans. It makes people rate them as less intelligent.
Agreed! We tend to confuse trainability with intelligence. I'm a hound person. Hounds never make the list when it comes to intelligence. Is a border collie "intelligent" because it will do anything you condition it to do? What about retrievers? A retriever works for the hunter. A hound leads the hunt. That takes intelligence, not blind obedience. You can't have independent thinking without stubbornness and a what's-in-it-for-me? attitude.
I love my beagles. Never a dull moment. I've been pleasantly surprised to find out that rabbits are just as challenging.
And yes... even the smallest are fascinating. I used to have a large boa that I would feed live rats. One day the pet store was out of feeder rats, so I spent another dollar and bought a hamster. That was the first and last time... Rats were pretty much oblivious to their fate. That poor hamster immediately understood everything that was about to happen to him... Never again!

Only thing I found is you should check the hindquarters for infected bite marks. They do sometimes break skin when giving a dismissal nip and it does occasionally get infected.

very true. I have noticed this when the does start getting nippy when they are going to kindle. But so far only ripped ears and soar butts occurs. No infections so far. Once they are done with kindling, they are pretty good girls when they are brooding over kits and all the does seem to just gush over them when they start moving around. licking and grooming ect.

Latest posts

Back