Cold?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnies50

Reaction score
My friend got a little Holland Lop, about 7 or 8 weeks old, a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, it has white mucus all around its nose and is constantly sneezing. I thought I'd come here and ask because, well, you guys have helped me with everything else. :) Anyway, the bunny apparently has a cold or something.

Aside from that, I guess the breeder in Riverside CA charged them $150 for it and told them the father was a champ in contests, or something like that. That was...odd, but :shrug:

If I can get a picture from her I'll try to get it up. Also, lmk if there's already a thread about this :oops:

Funnies, I am so sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but rabbits do not get colds. White mucous is a typical sign of pasteurella ("snuffles") which is a very serious rabbit disease. People have lost their entire rabbitry from this disease, usually brought in with a new rabbit.

The thing about pasteurella is that it can lie dormant in a rabbit for a long time and then present symptoms when the rabbit is under stress (such as when it goes to a new home.) Your friend should immediately get in touch with the seller and request a return of the rabbit and a refund. She may not get it, but best to try. That's a lot of money to pay for a rabbit with serious health problems. The breeder may or may not have known about the problem.

Pasteurella is not easily treatable and it is not curable. Some people with a single pet rabbit will take it to a rabbit-savvy vet and get appropriate medication, but all that will do is suppress the symptoms. The rabbit will still be a carrier of this horrible rabbit disease.

I hope you take precautions to protect Caramel. Your friend could carry the infection on her hands, her clothes, her shoes if she were to come to your home.

Again, I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Maggie summed it up, unfortunately. I'm so sorry it wasn't better news, but better to know now than for it to get worse or spread... and maybe if the breeder is of good conscience it can spare more damage down the road for them and other potential buyers. I know I had a guy knowingly give me a sick rabbit, but he didn't seem to think it was a bit deal, whatever it had... I learned the hard way he had a HUGE problem on his hands, that the "colds" he was dealing with was snuffles, and I brought it home with me :cry: :angry: :evil: - Lost a beautiful Cali buck that was my son's to that poor decision (I ignored the red flags since he was more experienced than I was).

heritage":3d4wazbi said:
I know I had a guy knowingly give me a sick rabbit, but he didn't seem to think it was a bit deal, whatever it had... I learned the hard way he had a HUGE problem on his hands, that the "colds" he was dealing with was snuffles, and I brought it home with me

I think ... yeah, I think my friend had that happen too. I don't know what the prices for an 8wk baby Holland Lop are, but $150 seems a bit much.

funnies50":12eyvnqt said:
heritage":12eyvnqt said:
I know I had a guy knowingly give me a sick rabbit, but he didn't seem to think it was a bit deal, whatever it had... I learned the hard way he had a HUGE problem on his hands, that the "colds" he was dealing with was snuffles, and I brought it home with me

I think ... yeah, I think my friend had that happen too. I don't know what the prices for an 8wk baby Holland Lop are, but $150 seems a bit much.

I don't know either, but I hope that's not the case. I hope they were unaware of it's condition at the time of sale. How long has it been going on? I had to cull a whole litter of 5 week olds and the mama doe from it (one of the 4 rabbits I brought home from the guy mentioned above... she had scaly spots on her feet I thought was just scars from sore hocks, but then the kits were born with blisters that got crusty just like them... one day I thought I heard a sneeze, but had just fed and watered so I brushed it off. A couple days later I heard a string of them and looked up so see one covered in white snot. That was not an easy process. Another thing added to my list of items to look at/for when buying a rabbit, if I ever buy from an outside source again).

heritage":uu6csbwy said:
Another thing added to my list of items to look at/for when buying a rabbit, if I ever buy from an outside source again).

Heh yeah. You can say that again
stare_sweat_emote_by_geoffnet-d7j9qh9.gif

We had a dog trying to get into the rabbitry, once. We believe that it caused one of our does to abort her litter. We also believe that the stress caused by that dog's presence caused our wonderful buck Pharaoh to develop snuffles.

I still catch myself calling our goofy little replacement buck Pharaoh, but his name is Marshmallow. :cry:

(((HUGS)))

Galadriel":mypyxykt said:
We had a dog trying to get into the rabbitry, once. We believe that it caused one of our does to abort her litter. We also believe that the stress caused by that dog's presence caused our wonderful buck Pharaoh to develop snuffles.

I still catch myself calling our goofy little replacement buck Pharaoh, but his name is Marshmallow. :cry:

(((HUGS)))

Awwww!! :)

Latest posts

Back