Cold again? :0

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnies50

Reaction score
So some of you know my friend got a Holland Lop that was sick.
Well, she sent it back to the breeder for 5 days to get ... something ... done, then got it back, along with a younger and smaller one.
I don't want to bother her, but I don't know if she should be doing this or not.
stare_sweat_emote_by_geoffnet-d7j9qh9.gif
Figured I might as well check, can't do any harm OwO

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, Funnies. Do you mean to ask if the younger rabbit is at risk? Or do you mean, is it wise to get a second rabbit from this breeder?

Any idea what the "something" was that the breeder did for the first rabbit?

No, I have no idea. o_O I just know that they sent the first rabbit back and when they came back they had two instead of one.
Would that put the small one at risk as well?

You mean, that the first rabbit could have something contagious?

No way to tell without knowing why the rabbit was "sick", what the breeder did, and why there's now a second rabbit.

Til now this is quite a mystery thread, open to every speculation:D

Well, I'll start with Theory 1:
Bunny got different feed than it was used to, tummy got upset, breeder returned it to it's old diet and all is well now, and the second bunny was just toooooo cute, and many a bunny appreciats a companion. :)

I confess, that's a rather optimistic theory.

Preitler":stc6n8z3 said:
this is quite a mystery thread, open to every speculation:D

Well, I'll start with Theory 1:

I'll play!

Theory 2:

Bunny had infectious disease. Breeder treated with a few injections of antibiotic.
Bunny was either cured or symptoms were temporarily suppressed. Second bunny is only part of the scenario because, honestly...
Who can resist another bunny???? :bunnyhop:

I have read that bordetella is more likely to produce symptoms in kits, and pasteurellosis is more common in adults.
No source to back that up..

But, best case scenario in regards to my theory would be that the breeder has already been dealing with ongoing bordetella issues and was prepared to handle it.

I am more than a little cynical about this breeder.

I suspect he didn't want to lose the $150 that Funnies' friend paid for the first rabbit. He likely treated it with antibiotics to alleviate the symptoms and sent her home with a second rabbit so if the first one gets sick or dies, he can point out that they already have a replacement.

Funnies, just reminding you to take precautions to protect Caramel. If this friend visits, she could bring a possible infection with her on her hands, her clothing or shoes.

I'm with MaggieJ on this one. I'd watch out for your rabbit. To me a $150 on any none show animal is too much. And frankly I would never buy my kid a show animal to start with. Maybe after they have shown a liking for it and are responsible. But not as a starting project or as a pet.

The breeder is most likely trying to cover his/her tail.

I'm in the 'the breeder is covering their backside' camp also. Having seen the number of sick culls in my area from pet/show/non-meat breeders, I sometimes wonder if there are any specimens of some breeds that AREN'T sick. The amount of sneezing I hear in some barns just makes me cringe (and change clothes/shower after I get home)

:x Red flags galore!!

I remember your first post, and I most definitely agree that the breeder likely just treated the rabbit with something and gave it back. Adding in a second one for insurance?? But if what #1 has is contagious, then there is a good chance the smaller rabbit already has it or will be coming down with it soon. Me personally? I would want my money back ASAP, return the rabbits, and go somewhere else (sanitizing every rabbit item in the process). All it took was for me to deal with one shady "breeder" and the illness he was in denial about, and I'm done. It's not worth the headaches.

Latest posts

Back