Closed Rabbitry to outside animals

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindi Davis

Reaction score
Im thinking of closing my Rabbitry to outside breedings as I've seen some questionable set ups and sad looking rabbits. One gal whom I have sold to in the past just does not take great care of them and was wanting to breed to my bucks but....... I told her Ive closed to outside does for sanitary reasons.

Does that sound reasonable ?

Yep. Seems very reasonable. A lot of people do not do outside breedings.
At the end of this month, I will not be making any other outside purchases either, barring some freak accident with one of my breeding does.

I wouldn't do outside breedings either, no matter how well the rabbits were cared for. You never know what diseases they might be carrying, both venereal and otherwise. If someone is interested enough in the genes my animals have, they can buy a doe or buck for their own use.

I wouldn't breed my stock to an outside animal either. I was rather shocked when I saw breedings occurring at the last show I attended. It is a risk I am not willing to take. Exhibiting my animals at a show is more than enough risk as it is, without direct contact.

Live coverage, as they call it in the horse world, just isn't safe on a number of different things.
Buy, QT, breed and then sell, nothing else and no cutting corners.

i only breed to "outside" animals if I know
1. that the animal being bred is one of my own stock
2. that they are the only rabbit that person owns.

I generally get one kit back for that breeding.

Random people wanting to borrow a buck can buy a kit grow it up and give it back to me if they don't want to keep it long term.

Ladysown, I do make it a point to tell folks ( if a pet purchase) that I will take the rabbit back if they can no longer keep it. That has worked real well and eased some folks minds of what to do if thing change. But I am just getting more protective over them and want to make sure they are healthy.

At this point in time I have 4 breeding does, 3 replacements 3 jr bucks and Mischif who is retired, Sort of LOL thats plenty to keep me out of trouble

Yep, if they want to breed to one of my animals, then they can buy one. I don't generally bring in outside animals and I don't send mine to other barns. That being said, I *DO* have another friend that has Rex from the same breeder as me. We have planned to breed my buck to her does and her buck to my doe to get some genetic and color diversity going. But that is one specific situation where I feel comfortable doing this....otherwise, NOT.

OAF,

Skymya and I spoke of doing the same thing if we were able to find Satins. In certain instances, it might be acceptable, but as a general practice, NO!

One I do have a friend as well and we do the same thing. We have exchanged animals for a while and I have seen her facility and know she is good at what she does, and I trust what comes out of there.

Back