Clipping Baby Bunny Nails

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerMom

Reaction score
At what age do you first cut your baby bunnies nails? I have 4wk old bunnies, and I feel like I may have waited too long, but don't want to have an accident with how squirmy some of these guys are.

Now is the time to start, while the nails are still short and tiny! The wiggling and squirming is best handled by-- get this-- HANDLING the kits. :D You must handle the kits so that they learn to trust you, no matter what position you hold them in. While you do this, gently squeeze toes and feet, do some gentle pulling of tail and legs (carefully, always in a proper direction) The kits need to become accustomed to what in Nature, are signs that trigger the "OH NO-- I AM ABOUT TO BE EATEN!!!" response. (fight and flight) :bunnyhop:

earliest I do them is generally three months (yes, I know I"m bad) but I play with them alot before hand (with their feet) and find that generally speaking they don't NEED to be done before then. thereafter every 4-5 weeks.

I started clipping mine at 3 weeks. I put them on the grooming table and use a baby nail clipper. I put my hand around and under them, grasping the front paw firmly and I clip the nails. When I am done, I turn them around and hold the with my elbow, pull the back foot straight out to the back and trim those. Seems to work well...

Latest posts

Back