cleaning secrets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbuild

Reaction score
So, was wondering about your cleaning secrets, things you do to clean cages, bottles, feeders.

So, here is mine. I always hated cleaning bottles with a brush so....I went to the store and bought a cheap box of BB'S for a BB gun. I put the BB's in the bottle with a little water and shake the crap out of it....clean bottles it 60 seconds or less. You don't have to use the whole box, maybe 50 BB's and a little water. You can reuse the BB'S over, and over.

Bowbuild

I also use a drill for cleaning. I get a a round stiff wire brush, and go to town. Wetting the hair if it is not wet will help greatly! Propane torch after bleach, and a little soap you have a fairly clean cage for the next pig :roll: , I mean rabbit to move into. :D

Oh, on the bottle cleaning keep the top on, it will also clean the kneck of the nipple, you must make sure all the BB'S are out. :)

I was about to get a bottle brush, as mine has gone AWOL... but I like this BB idea!

Knocking off dangling bunny berries... dollar store toilet brush.

Cleaning small things... soak in bleach solution, thorough rinse.

Cleaning cages... wire brush, spray bleach solution w/thorough rinse, and/or torch as needed.

I just discovered the torch thing for the dingleberries stuck to the cage. It's sooooo much quicker than a wire brush, its awesome!!! With six breeding angoras and a slew of kits in winter, I don't know how I survived before it...

I don't use water bottles anymore. They always leaked on me and I hated dealing with them in winter. All my buns has stainless steel water crocks now. Easy to defrost, just then upside down and smack on the concrete sidewalk. That way they can have fresh water, and the dog has a few frozen pucks to keep her occupied! Win Win :) also, all I have to do is rinse.

I use a dish brush and attach it to a PVC pipe with a screw so I can easily reach the back and underside of the cages. a clothes dryer lint vent brush, slightly damp, to remove hair on top of the cages. hand held shop vac for front of cages and webs.

Great idea with the bb's. I never thought of that, instead I used aquarium gravel but I don't have that any more so I'll get some bb's! Thank you! :)

Tylee23 :lol: :lol:

How do people clean their wooden nest boxes? I have an all wooden nest box (and had my very first litter 3 weeks ago). Just took the box out and sprayed it with a hose, then took a rag with bleach and did a good wipe and sprayed it down again.

luvmybunnys":3lqr5mmw said:
What about the gravity watering systems? How does everyone clean those?

I disconnect the nipples from the cages (put water in crocks - I already have ez crocks in the cages anyway) and fill the system with bleach water and let soak for about an hour or so, then drain all the bleach water into a bucket, rinse rinse rinse. I taste the water until it does not taste like bleach. Kind of feels strange tasting the water but I figure it's the best way to make sure there's no traces of bleach left. Then I rinse again. Make sure each cage's tube is rinsed until totally clean.

I rinse with a scrub brush if needed, and then set them in the sun.

I don't want to risk getting too much stuff in the wood with the babies.

Latest posts

Back