Christmas Message.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
I wrote this a year ago. I don't believe I've ever posted it here.
Merry Christmas, RT Forum.

Mistakes people make:
Not being happy with what they have.
Always wanting more than they need.
Putting off seeing those special loved ones and friends.
Regretting those opportunities when they are gone.
Not slowing down to enjoy the moment.
Missing so much when they hurry through Life.
Being concerned about an extra item of food for their table.
Not considering those who have none.
Avoiding the homeless man with a sign. "Will Work"
Not walking up to him and giving him a dime.
Not looking into the forlorn eyes of a child.
Not looking to see if he has socks on under his shoes.
Always wishing for this or for that.
Never thinking of those who have no hope.
Not taking the time to say a heartfelt, "Hello."
Being willing to listen and feel what was said.
The loudest cries come from the softess whispers.
Avoiding the homeless, the helpless, the harlot.

One man tried to right all of these wrongs.
His birthday is coming: Merry Christmas.
Grumpy.

grumpy":z43pw1ve said:

Last week, while doing some last minute shopping, I saw a a young man in a wheelchair being pushed by his father. I think he may have had cerebral palsy because of the tilt of his head and overall condition. His body was wasted by disease, and he was well wrapped in blankets to keep him warm despite it being in the high 50s.

I made eye contact with him, and gave him a cheery hello and a big smile. For a couple of seconds there was no reaction. But then, a smile of such sweetness suffused his face that I nearly cried, and then he rolled his eyes with embarrassed pleasure.

My joy at seeing his happiness was overshadowed by sorrow that a smile and a single word could make such an impact because the majority of people avert their eyes from the severely disabled among us.

If only more of us could imagine ourselves in someone else's shoes... I know that I would be devastated if people wouldn't even look at me, let alone greet me. :cry:

I wish that more people could see past the infirmities of others and realize that there is a thinking, feeling person trapped in a body without full capabilities, and treat them as such.

I don't know if that young man remembers me, but I will always remember him. And I thank him for giving me such a glow of happiness from his smile.

MamaSheepdog":10fk4o4h said:
grumpy":10fk4o4h said:

Last week, while doing some last minute shopping, I saw a a young man in a wheelchair being pushed by his father. I think he may have had cerebral palsy because of the tilt of his head and overall condition. His body was wasted by disease, and he was well wrapped in blankets to keep him warm despite it being in the high 50s.

I made eye contact with him, and gave him a cheery hello and a big smile. For a couple of seconds there was no reaction. But then, a smile of such sweetness suffused his face that I nearly cried, and then he rolled his eyes with embarrassed pleasure.

My joy at seeing his happiness was overshadowed by sorrow that a smile and a single word could make such an impact because the majority of people avert their eyes from the severely disabled among us.

If only more of us could imagine ourselves in someone else's shoes... I know that I would be devastated if people wouldn't even look at me, let alone greet me. :cry:

I wish that more people could see past the infirmities of others and realize that there is a thinking, feeling person trapped in a body without full capabilities, and treat them as such.

I don't know if that young man remembers me, but I will always remember him. And I thank him for giving me such a glow of happiness from his smile.

Well said Grumpy and MSD. Often we're too busy or rushed to take the time. Growing up with an uncle that was physically and mentally challenged I can assure you he probably will remember. BoBo would often mention people like you months and even years after the fact. Knowing the joy a smile and a word would bring him, I try to go out of my way to say hi when I can.

Bill

Latest posts

Back