Chopped hay, forage for rabbits fed along with pellets.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLRS

Grace Meadows Farmstead
Reaction score
Maybe it bothers me more than it should...because I don't like waste, much less having to clean up the mess, but it seems that if I can feed hay in cut form, it would be much cleaner and much less wasteful. I already have their hay mangers located above their feeders, and therefore catch lots of the otherwise wasted hay, but I am sure there is still a better way.
I am thinking about buying a machine to chop hay. You can see a video example of this machine by searching for this "Hay Chopper Cutter.MOV" (below). It cuts hay or nearly any other forage product into short sections. These chaff cutters can be run manually or by adding a motor and the resulting product can then be fed with a scoop into their feeder. Many fodder plants can be chopped up with this machine and dried, stored, and then fed with a scoop. Fed alongside a 20% ration of pellets, feeding can be fast, efficient, clean and healthy. Various foods can be run through this machine. Sunflower stalks and leaves, Jerusalem artichokes, willow, mulberry, poplar and other tree fodder (smaller branches of course), leaves of various trees, any greens from the garden, vines, raspberry / blackberry canes, etc. All of this could be chopped into 1/4 inch pieces, dried and then fed when convenient.

The only real problem is that these types of machines seem to only be sold in India. I have been working 2 weeks on finding a price plus shipping on even one machine. Still no luck. It seems hundreds of companies make or stock them, but no one actually knows how to sell them.??? I made the mistake of calling a few companies over there, but could not understand anyone, and for that, the phone company charged me over $50.

Am I missing anything? Is there a better way to do this? I would look into a chipper / shredder, but this looks like this chaff cutter machine is purposefully designed to do just what I want it to. in fact, The more I look into these machines, the more I think people in other parts of the world wouldn't use pellets at all, but would blend their own feed mix as needed and cut out the middleman selling pellets.

Maybe it bothers me more than it should...because I don't like waste, much less having to clean up the mess, but it seems that if I can feed hay in cut form, it would be much cleaner and much less wasteful. I already have their hay mangers located above their feeders, and therefore catch lots of the otherwise wasted hay, but I am sure there is still a better way.
I am thinking about buying a machine to chop hay. You can see a video example of this machine by searching for this "Hay Chopper Cutter.MOV" (below). It cuts hay or nearly any other forage product into short sections. These chaff cutters can be run manually or by adding a motor and the resulting product can then be fed with a scoop into their feeder. Many fodder plants can be chopped up with this machine and dried, stored, and then fed with a scoop. Fed alongside a 20% ration of pellets, feeding can be fast, efficient, clean and healthy. Various foods can be run through this machine. Sunflower stalks and leaves, Jerusalem artichokes, willow, mulberry, poplar and other tree fodder (smaller branches of course), leaves of various trees, any greens from the garden, vines, raspberry / blackberry canes, etc. All of this could be chopped into 1/4 inch pieces, dried and then fed when convenient.

The only real problem is that these types of machines seem to only be sold in India. I have been working 2 weeks on finding a price plus shipping on even one machine. Still no luck. It seems hundreds of companies make or stock them, but no one actually knows how to sell them.??? I made the mistake of calling a few companies over there, but could not understand anyone, and for that, the phone company charged me over $50.

Am I missing anything? Is there a better way to do this? I would look into a chipper / shredder, but this looks like this chaff cutter machine is purposefully designed to do just what I want it to. in fact, The more I look into these machines, the more I think people in other parts of the world wouldn't use pellets at all, but would blend their own feed mix as needed and cut out the middleman selling pellets.

There are two machines on Amazon that look like they do the same thing. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/TXMACHINE-Cu...7de-b1fa-408934645560&pd_rd_i=B0BWF1RHW9&th=1

There are two machines on Amazon that look like they do the same thing. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/TXMACHINE-Cu...7de-b1fa-408934645560&pd_rd_i=B0BWF1RHW9&th=1
I have seen those and they would probably work. But, they cut fast enough to throw the fodder 10 feet up a 5 foot wall. I think they cost about 5 times as much too. It may be that the machine I am looking at is much slower, which is fine with me and possibly is a much older design. Mostly though, it's too expensive for me - they are after all just rabbits...

Talk to a millwright they could probably build that for you. it's kinda what they do. You need a gear box, sharp blades, and a feeding mechanism..

Here those things are offered as lawnornaments on our version of craigslist. It is an old agricultural tool so people cleaning up grandpa's barn sell them every so often.

Talk to a millwright they could probably build that for you. it's kinda what they do. You need a gear box, sharp blades, and a feeding mechanism..
I have built many machines, and I agree it could be done, but re-inventing the wheel is usually very expensive. In India they are sold for a couple hundred dollars.

An option might be a chipper shredder. If you don't know a person who can lend you one, perhaps you can rent one from one of the equipment rental places. See if what you get is close enough for what you want. Maybe it could be modified if not.
I have thought about this and would be willing to try. My only concern is: would the results be uniform enough? The machine I have in mind cuts everything into pellet size pieces. Still, I have seen leaf mulcher used to chop hay (used to build and reinforce clay / adobe / slip) effectively by running it through many times, but that would only work on soft material.

I have thought about this and would be willing to try. My only concern is: would the results be uniform enough? The machine I have in mind cuts everything into pellet size pieces. Still, I have seen leaf mulcher used to chop hay (used to build and reinforce clay / adobe / slip) effectively by running it through many times, but that would only work on soft material.
When I make liverwurst, I have to run it through the grinder 3 times. But it is worth it.

Tjese are the same concept I think and pretty commonly available. I don't know if they would cut fine enough? But when people are chipping for mulch they usually choose different grades/sizes? It claims to chop up decent size branches as well as weeds/grass so should tackle hay without issue and has a handy dandy collection basket. Sorry I am in Canada so naturally crappy tire pops up! Point is, perhaps this kind of device can be repurposed and suit your needs? General PDP Template

Good morning SLRS and everyone, I agree with one of the prior posts that the machine you are asking about is the old-style grain chopper our grandparents used to use. You may be able to find one at an antique store also. As for the chop of hay...I would not be too worried about the uniformity of the cut hay. I have found my bunnies now prefer the chopped hay over pellets. In my feed mix, the first ingredient is our hay...and as their diet needs a good base of hay...is what they get. The process of making pellets is a process...you have to get the ingredients for the pellets ground up to a certain size to fit the die for the pellets. if the hay or other ingredients are not small enough, they will not go thru the die. It has taken me three years since buying my farm to get my hay and the hay production operation working. This week I can finally start production. I had a large number of rabbits.... until coyote attack. Lost my first two litters of babies and my female adult rabbits were really getting to a good size and a year old. Has taken me awhile to get back to increase my rabbit population...they are in a new secure location and will eventually have a double fence to deter any predators. I have stopped feeding commercially made rabbit pellets...as most the ingredients are just processed grains, chemicals, flavorings and preservatives. The mix I am giving my babies now, they absolutely love it...their fur is shiny and more active. Have a great day, Yale

Tjese are the same concept I think and pretty commonly available. I don't know if they would cut fine enough? But when people are chipping for mulch they usually choose different grades/sizes? It claims to chop up decent size branches as well as weeds/grass so should tackle hay without issue and has a handy dandy collection basket. Sorry I am in Canada so naturally crappy tire pops up! Point is, perhaps this kind of device can be repurposed and suit your needs? General PDP Template
Ya know? Maybe this type of chipper would do the job well enough. Even if the material has to be pushed through more than once. I just wonder if the hole at the top is very big. I have seen some that is so small they limit the size of branches that can be fed in...so that would be sort of slow feeding in something like hay, but would be perfect for the first pass of a sunflower stalk...not so much the second pass though. Still, plenty of used machines (many sold cheap - barely used) have chutes for both sticks and lighter material like leaves of hay.

I am also still working on finding an older style (as previously discussed) Chaff Cutter from India. Finally found 2 companies to talk to me. They are SO, SO, SO SLOW! It doesn't help that one question takes 24 hours to get answered, but they seem very reluctant to provide price and shipping info. The one price I did get ends up only being $30 for a motorized machine, plus shipping. I still do not know what the shipping would be, but the price is dirt cheap. Anyway, they seem like nice enough people, I guess I am just accustomed to buying something in less than 10 minutes, not weeks.

Last edited:
Ya know? Maybe this type of chipper would do the job well enough. Even if the material has to be pushed through more than once. I just wonder if the hole at the top is very big. I have seen some that is so small they limit the size of branches that can be fed in...so that would be sort of slow feeding in something like hay, but would be perfect for the first pass of a sunflower stalk...not so much the second pass though. Still, plenty of used machines (many sold cheap - barely used) have chutes for both sticks and lighter material like leaves of hay.

I am also still working on finding an older style (as previously discussed) Chaff Cutter from India. Finally found 2 companies to talk to me. They are SO, SO, SO SLOW! It doesn't help that one question takes 24 hours to get answered, but they seem very reluctant to provide price and shipping info. The one price I did get ends up only being $30 for a motorized machine, plus shipping. I still do not know what the shipping would be, but the price is dirt cheap. Anyway, they seem like nice enough people, I guess I am just accustomed to buying something in less than 10 minutes, not weeks.
Ah yes....the pace in other places and be slow. It is also highly likely they have not gotten customers outside of the region and must take time to figure out how to ship, cost etc. Don't be surprised if the shipping cost is ungodly expensive and takes the slow slow boat route. As a Canadian because there is so much less availablity here I have had a lot of experiences ordering from Asia. It generally works out but does take time! I had to get some beekeeping equipment from the Phillipines, lovely people but it did take 6 months! Good luck, and if you have a company who will do it perhaps post their link here! I would be interested and I bet others would be too. You can give them some free advertising, which every company can use in this economy!

Maybe it's time to go back to the original problem of wasted hay and figure another method for saving it other than chopping it?

We have rabbits who like to dig in their food dish which spills it. There's now a big ceramic tile under those food dishes and wastage is a lot less. Can the hay be fed over a big ceramic tile area? Then anything that falls can still be reached?

Maybe it's time to go back to the original problem of wasted hay and figure another method for saving it other than chopping it?

We have rabbits who like to dig in their food dish which spills it. There's now a big ceramic tile under those food dishes and wastage is a lot less. Can the hay be fed over a big ceramic tile area? Then anything that falls can still be reached?
I have their J-feeders mounted below the hay manger and the feeder catches much of the excess. So that does help. For other cages, I wired in place bread loaf pans (bought 10 on Amazon for $30) under the hay manger to catch the excess. That helps too, even though some buns literally fill the pan with hay, then ignore it and don't eat the excess hay (then I take it out and put it back in the manger). I also put their daily pellets in the pan, so no feeder on those cages. It all helps.

My thoughts are that they don't waste the pellets at all, so maybe if they treated the hay like pellets, then all would be good in my little world. Example: Some of my hay is half alfalfa and often at the bottom of the bin is all alfalfa flakes. I would put this flaky product in their feeder or pans and it is eaten completely with no mess at all. That is what gave me the idea of chopping hay. Still no guarantee it will work though, or even how well it will work. Its only a working hypothesis at this point.

I do get the idea that the Indian shipper has never shipped anything to the US, even though they are supposed to have plenty of experience delivering product all over the world.

I was able to buy a Worx leaf mulcher on Marketplace for about half price of new. I will see how well that works. If not, I can sell it for more than I bought it for.

Attachments

• 20230906_121155[1].jpg
    20230906_121155[1].jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230806_171009[1].jpg
    20230806_171009[1].jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Premier1supplies has two feed grinders. I'm seriously considering the Bravo ($600-some) which seems like it would work for most things and be able to pay itself off between the sheep and whatever else I have going on.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/poultry-supplies/feed-grinders-and-shellers/
Small pelletizer mills are still pretty pricey. Plus you're still going to have to buy what ingredients you can't grow yourself. And store the pellets. And store the forages/ingredients. And the electricity/fuel it runs on. And somewhere to keep the machine and run it.

These are the two links I've kept saved while I researched.

https://usapelletmill.com/product/pellet-mill-flat-die-mkfd120b
https://www.flatdiepelletmill.com/mini-pellet-mill/

Latest posts

Back