Chocolate Tort?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovehome

Reaction score
With convention busy-ness, I had not looked closely at my new tort elop, but yesterday I looked again at this three week old, and I think it might be a chocolate tort. The nose and ear lacing are much lighter than on my prior torts. The sire, Charlie Bucket (named after characters in the Chocolate Factory for obvious reasons) was bred to my known chocolate carrying doe, and she is due next week. But I bred Charlie to this doe, Shirley, because I needed more brokens. However, Shirley has the buck in her line that I believe brought the chocolate into my rabbitry. But when I bred Shirley's mother to my known choc carrying buck, I only got blacks and blues so I assumed Shirley probably didn't carry chocolate. I may have to rethink that...Anyone with experience with Choc torts? What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_4827.jpg
    IMG_4827.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 257
I have a choc tort doe, and she's a lot lighter than this little one. She was actually listed on her pedigree as orange, because of her colouring.

[album]2590[/album][album]2692[/album][album]2664[/album]
This one was either a chocolate tort, or the lightest black tort ever. I was never 100% convinced, but most people guessed chocolate anywhere she was posted. So I guess...If I can't tell with one right on front of me...I'm not much help. :p

You might check to see if her eyes have a red cast. If it's not there, it doesn't really mean anything, since not all chocolates have a red cast. This doeling of mine didn't.

Attachments

• GEDC8992.JPG
    GEDC8992.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 245
Usually the whisker bed and ears are pretty deep rich brown by now in torts. This one is definitely different....Or maybe not...I found an a picture of one I sold and it had a lighter butterfly... so, this one is probably just a light tort. Sometimes, it is just hard to tell.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 227
If I were marking a color for that animal on my pedigree, it would simply be torte...a very light black torte if you must...definitely not a blue torte...but I don't see any chocolate either...

Well, hopefully I will know next week whether or not Charlie even carries chocolate. I only kept those with the type I liked, and if any of them carries chocolate it is just a bonus. I get to spend the whole winter test breeding--fun, fun!

Latest posts

Back