Chocolate/blue= tiger????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millimanm

Reaction score
Cute little guy but he's dark with orange?? I don't know how I got this?? Is this right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 458
Looks like a steel to me. One of the parents must not be truly a self. "Super steels" can appear solid (black, blue, chocolate, or lilac) when they're actually an agouti carrying two steel (Es) genes. A_ Ese (a steel carrying non-extension) can result in super-steels too, it seems.

It's a gold tipped steel. I agree, one of the parents was a false self.

Rabbits with only one steel gene can look self too. I've gotten false selfs from an agouti(opal) buck who didn't even carry self, and a super steel doe.

Momma

__________ Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm __________

Daddy <br /><br /> __________ Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 pm __________ <br /><br /> Looking at her pictures I can see the gold in her fur!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 429
I'd say the blue's a steel. Looks like there's gold dusting on her sides and cheeks.

This is her second litter. 1st litter was two blue does. 2nd was this guy, two black(solid), lilac, and a chocolate (passed) I don't see this in anyone else.

The blacks may develop readily visible ticking later; it can be hard to see on any color other than black. My best super steels usually started off jet black and grew into ticking when they shed out of their baby fluff at weaning (few remained fully black..drat).
Like this dude started off totally black turned out steel. You can see the gold dusting on his flanks and turning his cheek slightly brown.

Attachments

• Draco.jpg
    Draco.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 416
Here's a couple dark steel kits and a lighter steel. The kits in the one-eared kit litter (I'm assuming that's this litter you're talking about) look steel. The lilac kit also appears to have light inner ears, nostrils, and eyebrows like it could be a light steel.

Attachments

• 10-2-2012-03.jpg
    10-2-2012-03.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 410
  • steel kit.png
    steel kit.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 410
  • steel kit2.png
    steel kit2.png
    479 KB · Views: 410
Here are some gold topped steels.
I've been collecting pics because many find the lighter shades of steel tricky to ID.
Unfortunately, steels can range from almost-agouti to all-the-way-self looking.
GTS= gold tipped steel.

lilac GTS:
[album]2837[/album]
chocolate and black GTS:
[album]2518[/album]

a chocolate GTS next to a rabbit that looks like a self, but who knows? Could be a "false self." You can't always tell them apart from true selfs visually.
[album]2573[/album]
blue GTS:
[album]2178[/album]

And two black based GTS displaying some of the variation possible:

[album]2379[/album]
[album]2378[/album]

Am I seeing things correctly? Are both parents mini-rex?
Steel is pretty uncommon on any rex rabbits, and I'd LOVE to see the adult photos on that kit!

Thinking.... I have a black holland lop buck.....who's jet black with some gold in his hair...... Could it be he escaped for a one night stand??? Ohhh geez!!!!! Who my rabbies daddy??? Is it possible she carried two litters fathered by two different bucks?

__________ Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:20 am __________

Mama is looking a little gold in some spots too. Here's my holland

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 371
Do you have any better pics of the kit? Is it possible that it's just agouti and the ticking is slowly coming in?
- TBF

An agouti will have white inside the ears and a white belly. A steel will not.

Any damaged or sunburned or even just ready-to-molt hairs can take on a gold tone, so don't let that fool you. and don't strain your eyes looking for ticking in general. Even if a rabbit has no visible ticking it can still be a masked agouti steel and potentially throw steel kits. :D
Your lop buck seems like a more likely candidate than the mini rex at this point. Just because steel is pretty common in lops and not so common in rex. It's not impossible or unheard of though.
I guess the fur type will be the indicator.
If they have nice rex coats, they are MR.
and if they have strait coats, mutts!

Right, if we can see their eyes and ears we would be able to tell agouti vs steel.
Keep us posted! :)
- TBF

__________ Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am __________

__________ Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am __________

3. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:22 am __________ <br /><br /> 4.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 194
Yes, they were born on the same day. same litter, i think. they were very uncooperative this morning. we had another one that was a chocolate, she passed away last week.

Latest posts

Back