chin eye color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBA

Reaction score
I had two chins born to a mini lop a couple months ago. One is several shades darker than the other. Actually, the lighter colored one has a lot of white throughout, yet not a broken.
Hard to explain, but can't get a good pic.

Anyway, they eyes. Both have reddish eyes, but not the same red as a REW. They are a dark, kinda burgundy or brownish red. What color would that actually be?
Again, I can't get a good picture at all.

You could have a frosty which is a chinchilla or sable that is also non extension - I posted a pic of one of my sable frosty Mini Lops

There can be a lot of variation in the chinchilla colour, especially when a show quality version of the colour hasn't been selected for - here is a AmChin with a show quality coat and the lighter one is from a Flemish x buck and American Chinchilla doe, the Flemish version of chinchilla is very light because that's what the SOP calls for and likely why I get some VERY light chins in my meat mutts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 358
i get all kinds of eye color in my chins, brown, amber, blue gray, gray. And all kinds of coats, depending on the amount of surface color, the cleanness of the pearl band, and I even have a few that seem to have the wideband gene, or at least a wider pearl band than normal.

While I get lots of eye color in my chins there has never been a lot of red in any of my regular chinchillas. You might have sable chins. If they have the gene for sable/shaded instead of the dark chinchilla gene it will cause a ruby tint to the eyes and a lighter coat that is uneven in color with sometimes near white areas. Other genes that remove color can do it too like the nonextension that would make you a frosty/ermine and chocolate with the dilution gene to make lilac. It should be obvious if it's a chocolate/lilac based chin instead of a black/blue based chin so that's probably not it.

akane":2r07p6ci said:
While I get lots of eye color in my chins there has never been a lot of red in any of my regular chinchillas. You might have sable chins. If they have the gene for sable/shaded instead of the dark chinchilla gene it will cause a ruby tint to the eyes and a lighter coat that is uneven in color with sometimes near white areas. Other genes that remove color can do it too like the nonextension that would make you a frosty/ermine and chocolate with the dilution gene to make lilac. It should be obvious if it's a chocolate/lilac based chin instead of a black/blue based chin so that's probably not it.

This describes these two rabbits almost perfectly.
They look about like the one in the center of the pic above, except one has a lot more white and uneven coloring.

Thank you.

I agree. Sable Chins have ruby cast. My wide band Sable Chins have much lighter wool than the others, too. There's a bigger difference with this color in wide band, IMO

Latest posts

Back